Read Access (mdb) file

ovt001

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
I am looking a code to read a table from an access.mdb file.
On my computer I have a Database (c:\test.mdb) with one table (tbl_contact)
In tbl_contact I have 3 fields (Name, Tel, address).

I want to find a EASY methode to connect to the mdb and read, write, modify the contents of my MDB file.

!!! WITHOUT USE PHP of ASP !!! , because this is for a project, and the customer PC may not install IIS or Apach.

Thank you
O.

mc73

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can export your table to csv and then import to your sqlite db (I assume you are using this), by using for example the sqlite manager plugin for firefox.

Upvote 0

ovt001

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi MC73,
thank you for your response, but I need to see the change on line.
I mean that if somebody change a value into the database on the PC, I need to look the actual value on my PDA (without export-import).

Is it not possible to connect to a Access like we do in Visual Studio?
Or maybee with an extra tools to make the connection?

Thank you
O.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
without the use of asp there is not much hope I guess, unless you code your own service that listens to events on a certain port and manipulates the database like that.

That would take longer to code/test than just installing IIS.

If you have a spare $125 you could try DroidDB which seems to be able to access the database via dsn,
but then you have to problem that you probably can't use it with B4A anyway.

How does it get updated by the customer? access build-in forms or with a serperate frontend?

if you wrote the frontend yourself you can always mod it to point to a free web server hosting thingy
then your phone/tablet can read/update it aswell and it's not on the customers pc ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mc73

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi MC73,
thank you for your response, but I need to see the change on line.
I mean that if somebody change a value into the database on the PC, I need to look the actual value on my PDA (without export-import).

Is it not possible to connect to a Access like we do in Visual Studio?
Or maybee with an extra tools to make the connection?

Thank you
O.

This is a whole different story. Thought you simply needed an export guide, not a real handler.
Build a pc based custom server, open socket, and get to exchange data via the asynchronous streams. Prepare a command set, including things as "new, update, delete", include boolean flags to know if data on your android are updated and so on. I've done it already for a client, it worked pretty well. I suggest you have a look at the client/server Erel's tutorial and at the same time, search on the web for socket components for vb6 or whichever you now have.
All these, if of course, there is a true need for accessDB. I would choose mysql running on Apache, and create a more universal handler, using php.

Upvote 0