(Real-time) stats

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Nearly four billion internet users in the world today. I highly doubt that!

1. Me logging in from my laptop
2. Me logging in from my PC
3. Me logging in from my smartphone
4. Me logging in from my tablet
5. Me logging in from my MAC
6. Me logging in from Starbox
7. Me logging in from School
8. Me using iot for the car

So..
4 Billion / 8 = 500,000,000

* 4 Billion IPs doesn't mean 4 Billion users
* World population today's about 7.6B
* 26% under 14
* According to 2011 estimates, about 86.5% of African population has no Internet access.
* 50% of the world population is women
(Warning! women variable's not used)

Last edited:

AHilton

Licensed User
Longtime User
Nearly four billion internet users in the world today. I highly doubt that!

Depending on what their data sources are defining as "internet users" and what their estimation software is doing, it's entirely possible. Personally, I have over 80 IoT "users" and know of about 1700. In 5 years time, I wouldn't be surprised with 10-15 billion connected devices/users.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
it is not accurate. those are just a few timers that are visualizing us some statistic states that are taken from different sources.

let say a resource says that every day 200k people die you will see a number depending on your computer clock. so if you set your clock to 00:00 you should see 0 people died today... (you will need to wait few seconds until the site is refreshed and take your pc time and calculate the stats)

although I like the idea. it gives us a clue of what a world we live in.

http://www.worldometers.info/faq/

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
btw

75,302,973Bicycles produced this year
132,818,287Computers produced this year

i doubt that only twice computer are produced then bicycles.

i mean every home has 1,2,3,4 or 7 pc's (like me) but maybe 1 bicycle so the relation is not correct in my opinion.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i doubt that only twice computer are produced then bicycles.
Wait until a catastrophic event will cause a prolonged power outage and bicycles' count will suddenly rise to easily exceed devices' one :)
Did you buy your personal bicycle-driven dynamo, right?

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Wait until a catastrophic event will cause a prolonged power outage and bicycles' count will suddenly rise to easily exceed devices' one :)

We did during Hurricane Sandy in New Jersey.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_Hurricane_Sandy_in_New_Jersey

statewide blackout lasted for nearly two weeks in some areas.. We suddenly returned to stone age.. No electricity whatsoever.
Curfew at night you can only see police cars. On day I saw a number if VIPs and non-VIPs lined up in the street to charge their phones
from the only power outlet near a fire department station that used backup generators. tonnes of meat, milk and all perishable items
trashed..
Our civilization is built on cotton soil.
Back to the issue, iot users, in my opinion, are not Internet users.. I can't say I am using the internet when I use ATM to withdraw cash. On
the other hand, a bank or a company operating those ATM machines should be considered one user.