Receive Serial IR?

taximania

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'll stick with this thread instead of starting a new one because of it's relevance.

I've bought a licence for SerialNET.dll for cf2.net
The website states I can distribute to as many people as I wish, 1 application of mine using my licence and the relevant SerialNet.dll.

I've made my own VB.NET dll that allows people to access SerialNET.dll from within Basic4ppc for direct IR comms.

Question 1:
Is a .dll an 'application' ?

Reason:
I've made 2 versions of the .dll
1 that requires name.new1("RegKey"), a valid or trial RegKey from Franson.
And one that name.new1 works fine because the RegKey is compiled in the .dll

I'm tempted to let registered members of B4ppc have the compiled version if they want it, and non registered members have the 'RegKey' version.

After my last attempt at releasing my software, 'Endermol', ahem, ahem.

Not sure where I stand.

The official, and I quote 'ish', SerialNET forum advises someone who asked a question to, "Buy a book for beginners before posting questions".

Hence, I didn't bother posting on their forum.

@Erel :sign0060:

And for those that remember my first downfall, it's even beter now it has speech built into it.

Pity you can't have a copy :sign0155:

taximania

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok so I emailed Franson. This morning. And got a reply tonight.
Thanks for using SerialTools! But I am afraid your purchased license doesn't cover the scenario you describe.

One option is that your customer buys a license of SerialTools for each application they develop.

The other option is that we work something out, and you pay a fixed fee to distribute SerialTools with your toolkit.

The fixed fee sounds expensive, I'll reply to the email and ask 'How Much', just for the grin.

My website has had a couple of changes today related to this thread.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/taximania/pic3.html

Mission accomplished.

It is possible to do 2 way PPC to Pic IR, if you've got £50 spare, can solder, read circuit diagrams, can write .dll's, learn a totally new programming technique and have good support from the programming language you are using, (you guys).

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all :sign0060: