request for squeeling counter demo!

colin9876

Licensed User
My development system is down, can anyone do me a mega favour and code and compile for device a basic utility for me if they have time today??

As proof of concept I need to show someone on thursday that we could develop a radiological counter on a ppc.

All I need is a utility that shows a number varying from 0 to 10000 and making a high pitched squeel ranging from a medium squeel at 0 to a high pitch squeel at 10000

The demo could be controlled by say how far the mouse stylus was touched up the screen?, but the proper thing would use a bluetooth gamma probe

very grateful if anyone can help - the sound is the tricky bit for me!

Last edited:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hard to accomplish in such a short notice...
but this community is known for doing very hard things in very short time...I'll give it a try and let you know what I came up with...

colin9876

Licensed User
Thanks

I'll cut u in on the fortune if I make one! These Radiological detecters cost $1000s but I want to convince my boss to invest in a bluetooth probe and then code the thing on a pda. The one we have is very unportable - 2kg box with LED digital counter and speaker which makes a variably high pitched noise! If I can show them a squeeling pda they will be convinced!!

The next step will be to work out how to decode bluetooth data!!

Last edited:

colin9876

Licensed User
picture of detector

If u could use this pic of our bulky detector as the backdrop and have the numbers somewhere in the black display box that would be so cool

Last edited:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The complicated thing is, thereis no direct support in .NET to the Sound(frequency, duration) command...
I'll do some more search...
Still an audio amplifier may be needed to make the pitch audible im a life like situation...

colin9876

Licensed User
what no BEEP command?

.. even my old spectrum had a beep command! lol!

I have a HTC touch its quite loud actualy and its for use indoors so should be ok on volume if u can get it to make a beep somehow! Thanks

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Producing sound is not a problem, as long as it cames in the form of a file...
It is possible to play a few diferent sound formats, including WAV and MP# files...
But it is not possible to produce sound directly by code, as in the "old spectrum"!

colin9876

Licensed User
Im shocked!

So would a program have to cycle through different pitched pre=recorded squeels? Is there any chance u could have a go at it or is too big a task?

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The biggest issue for me would be to get the sound files, if you provide them, in what ever formar, I'll give it a go...
The duration of each file should not be more that 500ms and more than 500hz apart, in order to have a good smooth effect

colin9876

Licensed User
thanks

cheers! I was struggling to find something like that. Agraham to the rescue as ever!

Cableguy - can u do anything with that? I think ur right it will need v short beeps maybe 100ms or so. It doesnt matter if it comes out as a string of beeps with a tiny gap in between or a continuous tone!

colin9876

Licensed User
Brilliant

Did you just write that app AGraham? very impressive

i think there may be a minor bug as when you alter the duration is affects the pitch

e.g. Freq 1000 duration 1000 sounds different than Freq 1000 duration 300ms

In fact freq 10000 which should easily be audible just buzzes at certain durations and frequency 1000 sounds more like freq 10000hz so somethings not quite right with the duration affecting the pitch? Your code looks fine so the problem must be in the .dll - where did u get that from?

Last edited:

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just a tought,
why don't you use the vibration for now,since it's proof-of-concept?
similar to this
cutting down the time between a vibration to continious vibration

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Your code looks fine so the problem must be in the .dll
No, I got the Freq & Duration labels the wrong way round when I re-arranged the control layout :(

twhere did u get that (dll) from?
I knocked it up yesterday based on some wav tone generation code by a guy called Sergey Bogdanov

colin9876

Licensed User
thanks again

Mr Gee - Vibration example is interesting, but for this the beep is essential as the probe will b used by a surgeon who listens to the tone - and they will want to see that the program vaguely resembles the machine they have!

Agraham - yes switching over the fields fixed it. Its a very useful tool / dll
Can u repost it with the correction please

Also the frequency set at 1000 gives a tone of about 10000hz,
and 4000 gives approx a 20000hz note!
Not a problem as I know we are not making a synthesiser here but I wonder why Sergy didnt make it map to the right pitch?

Last edited:

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
Mr Gee - Vibration example is interesting, but for this the beep is essential as the probe will b used by a surgeon who listens to the tone - and they will want to see that the program vaguely resembles the machine they have!
Sorry didn't get that last part, in that case it is essential, can't have the surgeons attention distracted... ;)

colin9876

Licensed User
Windows exe demo

great, Ive knocked up a demo now already. I'll post it here.
If I zip a windows exe, do I need to include the dll?
I know v6.3 will compile the image for me so I dont need to include my pictures in the zip?

Last edited: