request for squeeling counter demo!

colin9876

Licensed User
frequencies

ok Ive posted it above.

The task wasnt so difficult with that dll - again thanks for that.

Re checking the frequencies - u have a gaget for everything lol!

colin9876

Licensed User
great

Well the app is coming along nicely and its squeeling away on my ppc now - its certainly loud enough!!

Does anyone know if Basic4ppc can comunicate with a Bluetooth device, Im not shure how a bluetooth probe would send its data but can B4PPC open a coms channel with such a device anyway?

Last edited:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Does anyone know if Basic4ppc can comunicate with a Bluetooth device, Im not shure how a bluetooth probe would send its data but can B4PPC open a coms channel with such a device anyway?
I assume you are looking at something like the neoprobe Model 1100 which is stated to have a Mitsumi WML-C40AH bluetooth module. I haven't been able to find a definitive statement on this but this module is used by some hobbyists to talk from PCs to custom PIC micro systems. I would therefore guess that this module offers a Bluetooth Serial Port service and so could possibly be openable on a device using the Serial2 library. You would need to know how to communicate with the probe over that link but only neoprobe could tell you that or you would have to work it out for yourself.

I'm no expert on these things, maybe you have someone at your place of work but as this is a medical instrument you may have licensing issues. When I was buying electronics, semi-conductors and instrumentation many vendors had a blanket sales condition banning their standard commercial stuff from medical uses, presumably for liability reasons. You might have to check with Erel, the maker of the device and possibly Microsoft that such use does not infringe their licensing conditions.

colin9876

Licensed User
Yes the neo probe is exactly the one I was looking at. Well done for finding out which bluetooth module they use!
Thing is they sell the probe + their box for over £10000. a Surgeon I know complains about having to carry this big thing around.
Its used in cancer surgery, they inject a radio-isotope where the cancer is and the probe picks up which lymph nodes drain that area most

I know it can be done on a ppc, and much cheaper - however bluetooth electronics is not my area either!
With regard to legalities - this is only a bit of research at the moment - not going to be using it on patients!
I was thinking of just trying to buy the probe but theyve probably passworded the bluetooth connection so any old machine cant pair with their probe device!

So is there a serial port library for the ppc device? What have people used that for in the past?

p.s. That PIC micro chip looks interesting - just googled it!

Last edited:

Zenerdiode

Licensed User
The serial port library is 'Serial2.dll' and is provided with b4ppc. The help documentation is clear and straightforward.

Speaking as someone from the rail industry, our Signalling Systems have to be designed with an IEC61508 Safety Integrity Level of 4.

I'm sure medical equipment will have to be designed and tested to a similar level.

(We achieve this by running three identical processors with identical code and data; the three processors then have a majority voting and redundancy function. This means that if one processor disagrees with the other two, the two correct ones will literally blow a security fuse of the rogue processor. All processor modules are constructed with gold plated components and sealed before use.)