Revision backups

LineCutter

Licensed User
Longtime User
With the autosave feature (& without it too) it's quite easy to write a chunk of code, test it & decide you wanted to go in a different direction... but you forgot to save a version of the file before the branch.

It would be nice to have auto renaming of the current .sbp file (adding to date to the filename?) to provide auto-backups. Some kind of backup directory & housekeeping functions for number/age of backup files might be nice, but I'd be prepared to tidy up myself if these simply triggered a warning msgbox.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes I tend to agree that it would be usefull if atleat the currently in use file would be backed up during its editing time.
What i mean is that some time I stop programing when i reach a surtain run capability, and the resume coding... At that time if any of my current coding errors,and since some features demand previous save, i'm stuck with an erroing app.
My sugestion would go in to making auto-save actually auto-backup, and only when we closed the file or finished currrent coding session, prompt to save/update the sbp file...

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There would be no noticeable loss of time as normally we have the auto-save feature on, but imagine an app tha has 10 of 20 subs, you tned to go by stages and do specific event driven subs before any "calculations" subs, at least I do....So if after all the event sub were done if you had an error in a "calculations" sub that you just couldn't see", a backup file would be of interest in order to restart Exactly from where you were, and re-think the troubling sub...
I've had ocasions when it was easier to me to just restart the hole project because I just didn't know anymore what subs worked and were could be my eror...If only I had Backed up that time....Of course we can alway do our own back-up before re-opening a sbp file, if we remember to...

bdiscount

Licensed User
The idea would be to saveas before testing new code if ok then saveas original. Otherwise you need multi bak files. To make a bak files you have to rename the old and save the new, which as I said would take time.

LineCutter

Licensed User
Longtime User
My view:
On running the working program you have autosave set to on & save the current project over itself.
Changing this behaviour to autosave the current project under a different file name should take the same time, but will use disc space. This could be tidied up/prompted for at the close of the editor.

With this "autosave as backup" as an option, everyone should be happy.:cool:

bdiscount

Licensed User
Linecutter has a good method. it would use a lot of dick space but would be retrievable. I do save as if i plan a diff route.

Scubaticus

Licensed User
Linecutters idea :sign0142: is great. The first Sub being called in my sources is now BackupSrc which uses filecopy to create a copy every time I run the app

This creates a lot of copies but I just wasn't into adding a controlfile for limiting the amount of copies (every x minutes or so)

Scub

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A very nice Idea...
One could even write an "auto-backup" app and shell it instead of having a complete sub...

Scubaticus

Licensed User
..One could even write an "auto-backup" app ...

I'm pressing F5 all the time in the "Open Source" section, but nothing pops-up ;)
I have a slight feeling such an app is around ..... and well, if not I could start it.

Participants?

Scub.

dzt

Licensed User
Hi,

I'm not going to start it but I can set up some specs.

Maintain a folder List, in which it looks periodicaly (timer) if an .sbp file has different size than previous and if has it will make a copy adding a DateTime stamp, to a specified folder.

This utility should remain hidden in SystemTray (see dzSpy)