B4J Question Right to Left

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Java does not support such languages in the way that it does not reverse the order of letters.
I have known this for a long time and even created a class to do the reverse operation in labels and Textfields.
Few days ago I gave someone an application in Hebrew and found that his OS does the reverse operations by itself - it is Hebrew Win xp.
I wonder if this function of the OS can be integrated with the application, so I would be able to create one version of application. Win7 does not have a special Hebrew version.

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've done some programming for Arabic Windows, and Windows pretty much takes care of everything for you. When you switch language, Windows handles almost everything for you, such as:

* Right to left input
* Text selection (would not have been simple to do manually, as arabic uses left to right for numbers...)
* Keyboard mapping
* Menus are right aligned
* Scrollbars are moved to left side
* Progress bars go from right to left

The only thing I've noticed so far is that if you want labels to be to the right of their objects, you'll have to do that yourself (and I'm happy that WIndows doesn't start moving such things around on its own).

Just be happy it's not Chinese. I've heard that Chinese Windows more or less tips everything sideways, with menus along the side of the screen, extending sideways when opened and so on...

Upvote 0

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The idea in my question is that if someone has experience he might give the answer to what I ask.
The fact that it is not Chinese is not enough to make me happy...

Upvote 0

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Then I think I don't get your question. No need to be snarky about it, though, I took some time to write a long post trying to help you with the experience I have on the subject.

For me, it was a non-issue, things just worked (this was Win2000 and WinXP). I think, but am not 100% sure, that Win7 has built in support for R2L languages in all versions. I know for sure that you don't need anything extra for Japanese (which the youngest daughter use as she is learning Japanese), so I would be very surprised if R2L wasn't included.

You might have to download a language pack, but, if the Windows license was sold in that language zone, it's probably already included.

You can read more here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...indows-7/ac7a1590-d4e0-4a8a-b43e-03408410169f

The bottom line: Don't worry too much about it. Windows will handle the complicated stuff. You can't, however, lift OS portions from WinXP and just get the same in Win7.

Upvote 0