Run on Device for testing

Offbeatmammal

Licensed User
I like to develop on the desktop but would like to be able to test by running/debugging on a connected device (either physical or running a standalone emulator package)
Is this possible?
Don't mind if I have to install a tester app that handles the execution - can live with a few lost cycles of performance for the ability to see it in action on the device when I hit "run" in the IDE.
Perhaps even work with something like MyMobileR.com to bring the device to the desktop...

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It is already posible to run any spb file on the device with the device IDE interface....wich is included in the insstalation...
Just copy the file to a known location on the device and run it...It is also possible to program on the device or to do it half by half, coding inthe desktop and the device and have the file synced with active sync...
Microsoft already has a few Windows Mobile emulator, that will allow you to run you app in the device, even if you don't have one...

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
what I want is to be able to develop on the PC, then hit "run" and have it execute on the device (or emulator) so I can test in-situ (ideally with breakpoints etc) without having to copy/install to the device...
There's this thing called something like "Visual Studio" I think :)

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
:sign0188: :cool:

Doesn't work on the device though :(
B4PPC does :sign0155:

I think what Agraham was trying to explain is tha Visual Studio HAS a "built-in" Device Simulator, win runs Windows Mobile 5.0, to the best of my Knoleage, and is also capable of working as a stand alone app....

More info can be foud ate the download center of M$....

Offbeatmammal

Licensed User
I think what Agraham was trying to explain is tha Visual Studio HAS a "built-in" Device Simulator, win runs Windows Mobile 5.0, to the best of my Knoleage, and is also capable of working as a stand alone app....

More info can be foud ate the download center of M$....

why do you feel the need to use M$? kinda made me want to discount your comment.

Yes, Visual Studio has a way to compile and execute direct on a connected device (physical or simulator) but I was hoping there would be a simple way to do the same in Basic4PPC - even if it just mean forcing the app to stop and copying it over, but ideally a runtime framework to reduce/remove manual steps!

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
why do you feel the need to use M$? kinda made me want to discount your comment.

I don't, but i was only trying to clarify what i thought Andrew was meanning....

Any way, TO ME, it never has been a problem to code in the Desktop and the copy the code to the device in order to try it..
in fact, its one of the more amusing aspect of B4ppc to me...
the expectation that it will waork as I coded it...
It's better than drugs, I think...(Never Tryied them, never will...)
But, from some time ago, to this part, i'm almos exclusevly(argh), codeing in the device, in order to make sure all is well...
Eve body has it's own wa of doing things..
But we ALL must adapt to what Erel can produce..