Android Question Samsung Galaxy Note "EDGE SM-N915" coding

beacon

Licensed User
Longtime User
Does anyone have any knowledge on the requirements for writing an app for the Samsung Edge SM-N915? The phone has the ability to display a small app along the right hand curved edge of the screen. The edge of the screen can be seen even when the cover to the front of the screen is closed. Examples already on the phone include a ruler.

Thank you.

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
Still waiting to get my hands on one of these, hoping it does actually make it to the UK! Last news I heard was a possible release just before Christmas although I think its highly unlikely. Probably be more like February before we start to hear anything about official release dates in my opinion. I believe that Samsung were going to release an API for developers and a quick Google has revealed this SDK (not sure if it helps)...
http://developer.samsung.com/galaxy#look

Looks like the edge screen is code named Cocktail?

Regards,
RandomCoder

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Today i´ll hopefully get my new device. A S6 Edge
I´m sure i´ll write (or even try to!) a wrapper for it as i like the idea of the extended screen(s)... Single mode, Inversible mode....

Already downloaded the SDKs :D

SPass is already wrapped by @barx i´ve seen :)

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Personally, I love the specs of the s6 but I don't see why all the fuzz about the edge... It won't stick as a differentiating feature among devices.
Samsung is, IMHO, making a huge mistake by releasing too many models and then releasing a "mini" or as in this case, a single feature different version. Ever since the Note2 Samsung has lost the wow factor a new model should bring to its buyer.

Upvote 0

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've been looking at the Note Edge again. It's starting to drop in price now but still a little too much for me at the moment :(
I was really put off the S6 Edge because of the fixed battery which combined with the ultra quick charge seems like a bad move to me. It's the type of trick Apple use to ensure you stick with them for all your servicing requirements.
Really like the edge screen though and want one so that I can have a stab at programming a utility for it.

Upvote 0

beacon

Licensed User
Longtime User
Lots of gossip (no offence meant) but can I ask HAS anyone successfully written B4A code for the separate SM-N915 Edge screen as per the original question please? It is treated as a 2nd screen programmatically. Most importantly has anyone wrapped the Samsung development libraries to work with B4A please? :)

Upvote 0