B4J Question sending Resultset over network connection

Patrick Clark

Licensed User
I have a server application that handles requests for information and return the result to a client application

I am using MQTT as my communication method but the same question applies to asyncstreams

One of the requests is to query a database and return the results to the client

I can't use lists or maps etc as the query format is unknow to the server and the results can only be interpreted by the client

so my question is: How can I send a reultset over a network?

MicroDrie

Licensed User
If you are already able to provide information in an any-to-any MQTT network, what prevents you from sending the result of a database query via a MQTT client? Is it the query itself, is it the database design or do you want to use a point-to-point connection, or is it something else?

Upvote 0

Patrick Clark

Licensed User
If you are already able to provide information in an any-to-any MQTT network, what prevents you from sending the result of a database query via a MQTT client? Is it the query itself, is it the database design or do you want to use a point-to-point connection, or is it something else?

The data to send from the MQTT Client must be an Array of Btyes, not a Resultset

The Client publishes an SQL request to the MQTT Broker with a Topic of "GETDATA"
The Server is subscribing to "GETDATA"
The Server processed the SQL with a local SQLLite database and gets a ResultSet

What I then want to do is have the server publish the ResultSet with a topic of "ClientID/RESULT"

The client is subscribed to "ClientID/RESULT"

The client can then process the ResultSet

I have tried
B4X:
    Dim sql As SQL
    sql.InitializeSQLite("D:\Users\Patrick\OneDrive\Documents\B4X", "MQTTServer.db", False)

Dim rs As ResultSet = sql.ExecQuery("SELECT * from TesTable")
    Dim ser As B4XSerializator
    Dim ResultPackage() As Byte
    ResultPackage = ser.ConvertObjectToBytes(rs)

but i get
java.lang.RuntimeException: Cannot serialize object: org.sqlite.RS@f16dd6d

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can not serialize a Object.
You need to build your own List or Map or json (whatever you are most familar with) based on the content of the resultset and serialize this List/Map/json to transport.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Patrick Clark

Licensed User
You need to build your own List or Map based on the content of the resultset and serialize this List/Map to transport.

Thanks, that is the conclusion i have just come to.

I am building a ResultSet2Map sub right now

unless you know of one that already exists

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Patrick Clark

Licensed User
You need to build your own List or Map or json (whatever you are most familar with) based on the content of the resultset and serialize this List/Map/json to transport.

Given that I don't know what the columns in the result set will be I have to workout what the type of each column is

eg:
rs.GetColumnName(0) will give me the name of the column to use as a key in the map

but the data value might be a string or int or blob etc

How can i determine the type of the column in the ResultSet?

This will give me a list of maps (each map have keys for each column) but this assumes that all columns are (or can be cast to) Strings
B4X:
    Dim l As List
    l.Initialize
    Dim row As Map
    Do While rs.NextRow
        row.Initialize
        For c = 0 To rs.ColumnCount -1
            row.Put(rs.GetColumnName(c), rs.GetString2(c))
        Next
        l.Add(row)
    Loop

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Check out the source code of jRDC2. It converts the result set to a custom type. Look at the rdchandler code. Could reuse instead of re-invent

Upvote 0