Setup files

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi

I have about 80%of my Pairs v2 completed and developed a "Side-Kick" app to run in the desktop, in order for the user to compile imagesets to use in the game....
Beeing the game developed to the device how to build a setup installer that will install each to the respective platform, in the same package?

Big JR

Licensed User
Longtime User
What if you created two separate installers -- one for the PC app and one for the PPC app. Then write a bootstrap program that shells out to each installer in turn. Zip all three in a self-extracting zip with the bootstrap program to run on unzipping.
John

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
By bootstarp You mean a Bat file?

I used to be handy in DOS but now....any help links You could provide to the bootstarp portion?

Big JR

Licensed User
Longtime User
I too go back to DOS – and even 6502 assembler!

By a bootstrap program I meant a PC Windows program that does nothing except run other programs.

Take YourApp_PC.exe.

Make PC installer called setup1 exe. I don’t think SetupBuilder will create a PC installer so you’ll need InstallShield or similar.

Zip Setup1.exe.

Make it a self-extracting exe (in WinZip self-extractor set it as “for software installation”) called setup1b.exe with Setup1.exe as the file to be automatically launched.

Take YourApp_PPC.exe.

Make PPC installer called setup2.exe. If your application needs files installed in different folders you may need something other than SetupBuilder. I’m not sure if the latest version allows you to specify several destination folders.

Zip Setup2.exe.

Make it a self-extracting exe (in WinZip self-extractor set it as “for software installation”) called setup2b.exe with Setup2.exe as the file to be automatically launched.

Write Basic4PPC program (called YourApp_Install) to run the installers. I had thought one button could do the trick but Basic4PPC would run both installers asynchronously so unless there is a way to implement WinExecAndWait it will have to be two buttons. But that’s not a bad thing, it would enable the user to selectively re-install PC or PPC program as appropriate.

In one button, set Shell to run setup1b.exe. That will self-extract and run setup1.exe.

In the other set Shell to run setup2b.exe. That will self-extract and run setup2.exe.

All this is theoretical as I am nowhere near a PC with Basic4PPC installed but it should work. The files should extract to a temporary file so Shell should find them.
John