Share My Creation Solar power control system

Here are screenshots from my solar power control system.
My solar system comprises:
2KW solar panels
Midnight Classic charge controller
Pylontech Lithium batteries
Studer HPC4400 inverter
Power control system (my own design with esp8266) that monitors power use, voltage and controls the auto start generator.

Connectivity to the Midnight controller is via MODBUS/TCP, communication to the batteries is using the console port RS232 to interrogate the batteries, the result is then sent as MQTT messages. I also use a non-contact HALL sensor for the DC power from the charge controller to the batteries (as a backup for the data from the Midnight charge controller).
The app communicates with the system via MQTT and lets you manually start/stop the generator.
At the moment all other settings are performed via the web interface to the system.

Attachments

• pcs_overview.jpg
    pcs_overview.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 3,157
  • pcs_main.jpg
    pcs_main.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 316
  • pcs_charger.jpg
    pcs_charger.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 299
  • pcs_battery.jpg
    pcs_battery.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 304
  • pcs.jpg
    pcs.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 307

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is excellent @Acuario, I do enjoy reading about B4X projects that integrate with physical hardware.

Power control system (my own design with esp8266) that monitors power use, voltage and controls the auto start generator.
Interesting, you should post some photos of your setup.

Connectivity to the Midnight controller is via MODBUS/TCP, communication to the batteries is using the console port RS232 to interrogate the batteries, the result is then sent as MQTT messages. I also use a non-contact HALL sensor for the DC power from the charge controller to the batteries (as a backup for the data from the Midnight charge controller).
The app communicates with the system via MQTT and lets you manually start/stop the generator.
This definitely sounds interesting, how long did your B4X solution take you to complete?

At the moment all other settings are performed via the web interface to the system.
I take it that at some point you are going to interface "all other settings" (or as much as possible) into your solar power control system appl???

Cheers for sharing and keep up the great work :)

Acuario

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a website for the power control system - I thought about marketing it but haven't yet - Power control system - it's a bit out of date at the moment but the general principle and what it solves is explained.

With the number of settings that there are it is much easier to manage via a web interface than an app, the app really just provides the basic monitoring and generator control for the system and is an add-on to the system which is designed to be standalone without internet connectivity.

The B4X part was only a few days but the power control system I have been working on for probably the last 3 years, improving and fine tuning it (obviously not full time!).

I have a passion for designing and developing systems that integrate hardware and software, another of my B4X 'mini' projects is an automatic opener for my gate - it's pretty basic stuff so I haven't posted it here.

Many of my hardware/software projects are described on the Eco Renovator website (search for my postings as Acuario), although they don't (yet) have an associated app (as they don't really need one) they may be interesting to anyone interested in embedded processor based hardware/software projects.

elpic76

Licensed User
Longtime User
The gauges are simply awesome especially the third image!!!!
Could you please post a sample project with source code? Or could you please indicate the libraries used?
Best Regards

Acuario

Licensed User
Longtime User
The gauges are simply awesome especially the third image!!!!
Could you please post a sample project with source code? Or could you please indicate the libraries used?
Best Regards
The gauges are from here: xGauges
I just use my own settings to customise them for my app.

Acuario

Licensed User
Longtime User
How are you doing the Modbus/TCP in B4A?
The Modbus/TCP isn't in the B4A project, it is in the main controller (ESP8266 based).
The B4A project is just to display the results that come from an MQTT feed.

Acuario

Licensed User
Longtime User
Home made heat pump, all year greenhouse, circuit boards, yes I had a look @Acuario., You're quite the builder, excellent work 5 stars from me :)
Keeps me interested...
I'm in the process of a major upgrade to the heating system in the greenhouse using a combined heatpump/solar water drainback heating system. It's well advanced, the heatpump part is already running. Hopefully the water panel will be installed this week and operational next week.