B4J Question [SOLVED] jGoogleMaps lib not working 100%

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

There seems to be an issue with the Google Maps library.

The map appears but then it dissapears and gives an error.

Clicking on the "go to Eiffel" makes it crash aswell.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Could it be a problem with the key?

When the keys is empty, it is not valid, the map appears for a moment then marks an error

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
That could be it, I thought the initial lib thread mentioned you could enter one but it didn't seem to be a requirement or I missed that part ;)

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Look for the example that Erel developed with B4xPages, he inserted his test key :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I see that their javascript based api is being a pay model these days. ($7/1000 requests)

Are there alternatives that just can display a route on a map that still functions correctly and is free?

I just want to verify .gpx data.

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I see that their javascript based api is being a pay model these days. ($7/1000 requests)

Are there alternatives that just can display a route on a map that still functions correctly and is free?

I just want to verify .gpx data.
I got the key with the free basic service and I'm fine.

The requests they speak of do not refer to the display of the map but the conversions of the GPS position in the address and vice versa. And the requests also concern other services they offer.

The simple map view does not consume requests

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
then it's probably using the embedded method.

I'll give it a try.
In Erel's instructions he explains how to create a free API key

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you mean his link to the google maps api page?

I did that and after using the API key the map shows up but mentions for testing purpose only or something close to that.

Probably because I didn't enter credit card info yet.

I see 2 requests of the maps javascript api in the overview but that a paying service according to the pricing page.

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can request a free key

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have had a free membership for over 2 years.

Aren't you taking the wrong path?

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Unfortunately I'm not in the office and I don't know if I'll be back tonight otherwise I would have given you help with the free registration.

Limits are only the number of requests for extra services. If I'm not mistaken, a maximum of 5000 requests per day. For the rest all free forever

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
if you look here and expand Dynamic Maps you see Javascript API and that's what this lib uses.

but as I wrote the first $200 or $300 is free and that means $200/7 * 1000=28500+ requests for free which is hard to reach if it is for own use.

Upvote 0