Android Question [SOLVED] sqlite DELETE with COUNT ?

noeleon

Licensed User
Is it possible to use delete and count in a single statement?

My goal is to delete rows if artist has only 1 song

B4X:
Dim ccU As Cursor = SQL.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM forprintsingers")
Dim art as string
Dim progress as int
For i = 0 To ccU.RowCount-1
    ccU.Position = i
    If (i Mod 100) = 0 Then
        Sleep(0)
        progress = ((i / ccU.RowCount) * 100)
        lblStatus.Text = progress & " %" &CRLF& "Please wait"
    End If
    art = ccU.GetString("name")
    If SQL.ExecQuerySingleResult2("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM forprint WHERE artist = ?", Array As String(art)) = 1 Then
        SQL.ExecNonQuery2("DELETE FROM forprint WHERE artist = ?", Array As Object(art))
    End If
Next

Here's my combined statement, doesn't work:
B4X:
SQL.ExecNonQuery2("DELETE FROM forprint WHERE ((SELECT COUNT(*) FROM forprint WHERE artist = ?) = 1) AND artist = ?", Array As Object(art, art))

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
My goal is to delete rows if artist has only 1 song

Is forprint a temporary table? I expect it is, but... if not, and just-inc-case:

I have a natural aversion to deleting data that took time and $$$ to collect, and so I wonder if it would be safer to do the "one-hit wonder" culling in the
Select statements that generate lists/reports.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

noeleon

Licensed User
Is forprint a temporary table? I expect it is, but... if not, and just-inc-case:

I have a natural aversion to deleting data that took time and $$$ to collect, and so I wonder if it would be safer to do that the "one-hit wonder" culling in the
Select statements that generate lists/reports.
yes it is temporary.

Funny thing. I created a small project that I was going to upload here using the above code and it seems to be working.

The error must be somewhere else.

Does this look valid to you?
B4X:
SQL.ExecNonQuery2("DELETE FROM forprint WHERE ((SELECT COUNT(*) FROM forprint WHERE artist = ?) = 1) AND artist = ?", Array As Object(art, art))

Upvote 0

drgottjr

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
in line with having a "natural aversion to deleting data that took time and $$$ to collect",
having a given record "marked-as-deleted" is a long-standing db practice.

Upvote 0

noeleon

Licensed User
If it is a temporary table, then might be simpler to add another field eg "HowManySongs", populate it with the artist song count, and then delete based on that field ie where HowManySongs < 1.
I believe that's a better approach. Thank you.

Upvote 0