Some basic questions about Basic4ppc

daniel3000

Hi all,

I'm a total beginner here, but with some experiences in programming for mobile devices (so far MS-DOS and Linux mobile devices).
I am now evaluating if I'll use Basic4PPC to code some applications for an HP IPaq 614.

Maybe I'm missing the obvious, maybe this is a dumb question, but I haven't found a solution in the help of tutorials so far:

How is an application developed with the Desktop IDE installed and used on the mobile device?

I downloaded some of the examples and tried to use / install them.
There is a Mini MP3 player which installs on the Desktop and is usable there. No hint for how to install on the mobile device.
There is an accounting program with no executable at all (only source and libs?).
There is a HeyViewer which is just an .SBP file, which I don't know what to do with it. Copying to the HP and trying to open / Execute it just gives an error message about non-registered file type.
I have .NET CF3.5 installed on the device.

Also, how about Basic4PPC's ability to create "finger-friendly" applications, as there are more and more of them since the iPhone launch? It seems that this is the current trend, and I must say, I like this new approach of GUI design very much.

Thank you!

daniel

taximania

Licensed User
Longtime User
If you've downloaded the trial version from Basic4ppc - Windows Mobile programming and Pocket PC Development
there will be a desktop and a device install. The device install uses ActiveSync to install Basic4ppc onto your device.

Exe's can only be created on the desktop (for device or desktop) in a registered version.

Use file explorer in windows to copy files to your device via your USB cable.

Hope this bit of info helps (a bit).

schimanski

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello daniel3000!

When you install an application on your device, you can do it with one of the two main methods:

1. Download ActiveSync from Microsoft and install it on your Desktop. After that, you connect your device with your desktop-pc with an usb-cable. Then you can install the application via setup-file.

2. Another way is, to copy a cab-file (*.cab) on your device via Active sync or on the SD-card and start this file on your device. The installation starts automatically.

PHP:
Also, how about Basic4PPC's ability to create "finger-friendly" 
applications, as there are more and more of them since the iPhone launch?

I think, that it is no problem, to programm 'finger-friendly'. You can perhaps determine the size of the buttons etc. and for another example: You can use the balloon.dll to show messages without pushing a button after it.

I hope, i could help you....

daniel3000

Hi Schimanski,

the usual ways to install software on a PPC are known to me (Cab vs. setup.exe), but somehow I got the impressoin that apps created with Basic4PPC do NOT use these ways, because the sample apps I downloaded so far all had no setup.exe or cab file format (or one was a setup.exe but it installed on the XP PC, not via Activesync to the mobile).
That was the reason of my question.
But apperently I have missed something and the usual way for those apps is also the cab / setup.exe way :sign0104:

Regarding the "fingerfriendly" issue: my impression is that there is some kind of standard how these interfaces "should" look like. Dark background, smooth transitions between screens / menus, decent colors... not just large buttons. But I guess libraries for such GUIs are soon integrated into Basic4PPC? :sign0089:

Examples of what I mean is e.g. MortButtons, VITO AudioNotes Touch, some other newer Vito apps, Throttlelauncher (in a way), etc.

thanks,

daniel

diego

Licensed User
Longtime User
SetupBuilder will install correctly on the device if the user uses Windows Vista / Windows Mobile Device Center ?

mjcoon

Licensed User
But apperently I have missed something and the usual way for those apps is also the cab / setup.exe way.

It may be that the only thing that you have missed is that the examples are meant to show the development process rather than use the completed program as an exhibit. If that were adhered to rigidly the examples would not include any EXE files at all. But then who wants to be rigid!

The registered Basic4PPC can compile (on the desktop only) EXE for the device or for the PC. Tools are available to make CAB or setup files but this is a peripheral area of Basic4PPC and not exclusive to it.

The unregistered version can only run programs in debug mode, but this can be done on both the desktop and device, or on an emulator if the IDE is installed on it.

HTH, Mike.