Android Question SQLCipher 1.6 and 1.3

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by jatko, Apr 10, 2019.

1. jatko

jatko Member Licensed User

In my app I used SQLCipher library v 1.3. When I made the upgrade to 1.6 I saw that the new version is much slower than the old one.
    In my app there is many records to synchronize with the server. Inserting 5000 records takes even 2 sekonds more time.

Any idea, how to make it faster?

2. RB Smissaert

RB Smissaert Well-Known Member Licensed User

I saw a thread somewhere (not on this forum) where this was the problem:
    PRAGMA cipher_memory_security
    Turning this off made all the difference:

https://www.zetetic.net/blog/2018/11/30/sqlcipher-400-release/

RBS

3. RB Smissaert

4. RB Smissaert

I have now tested this after doing away with Spatialite, as I couldn't get that to work with SQLCipher 1.6.
    (see this thread:
    https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/new-sqlcipher-4-with-spatialite.103768/)

Running this SQL:

pragma cipher_memory_security = OFF

Did indeed make a big difference, and not only on non-select SQL, eg with this SQL:

WITH RECURSIVE input(sud) AS(VALUES('53..7....6..1.5....98....6.8...6...34..8.3..17...2...6.6....2.....4.9..5....8..79')), digits(z, lp) AS(VALUES('1', 1) UNION ALL SELECT CAST(lp + 1 AS TEXT), lp + 1 FROM digits WHERE lp < 9), x(s, ind) AS (SELECT sud, instr(sud, '.') FROM input UNION ALL SELECT substr(s, 1, ind - 1) || z || substr(s, ind + 1), instr(substr(s, 1, ind - 1) || z || substr(s, ind + 1), '.') FROM x, digits AS z WHERE ind > 0 AND NOT EXISTS(SELECT 1 FROM digits AS lp WHERE z.z = substr(s,((ind - 1) / 9) * 9 + lp, 1) OR z.z = substr(s,((ind - 1) %9) +(lp - 1) * 9 + 1, 1) OR z.z = substr(s,(((ind - 1)/3) % 3) * 3 +((ind - 1) / 27) * 27 + lp +((lp - 1) / 3) * 6, 1))) SELECT S as Solution FROM x WHERE ind = 0 order by s asc

Before running the above pragma it took some 7 seconds and after running that pragma some 0.66 seconds.
    This is on a Samsung S9, encrypted database with SQLCipher 1.6.

RBS

5. RB Smissaert

Did you try my suggestion?
    I have this an optional setting now in my app, but always have it turned off (pragma cipher_memory_security = OFF) as it makes a big difference.

RBS

6. jatko

I started some tests. On my device it works. But it's not so easy to migrate database for some hundred users. It takes much time. So I thank You very much for your help.

7. RB Smissaert

What do you mean with migrate database? Can't your users run any SQL on startup?

RBS

8. jatko

In my app I used SQLCipher 1.3. When I want to upgrade to 1.6 I can't use the same file *.sqlite only with replace library version.
    I decided to wait a little. Next month I will have the momen, when I can delete every old data in my app. The users will synchronize their devices with the server and in that time I will delete database in 1.3 version and create new in 1.6 version.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice