Android Question Stringutils multilineheight measurement problem

dagnabitboy

Licensed User
Longtime User
When I change my phones font size from default to large I see the expected increase in text size, except with strings generated by CSBuilder. CSBuilder strings don't change with the system setting, and consequently the resultant calculated height of a label are wrong. I've attached the code, and two screen images that show the problem. The font size is set to 18 for both labels. screen 1 shows default fonts, screen 2 shows "large" fonts. I use CSBuilder in order to have varied text size and colors in my app (not this quick demo).

As you can see, even with normal fonts there is a slightly different height result. With large fonts, it's exaggerated, but the CSBuilder strings also don't change size! I have the same problem on two tablets and my phone.

Any help is appreciated!

B4X:
Sub Globals

Dim Label1, Label2 As Label
   Dim cs As CSBuilder
   Dim txt As String
   Dim su As StringUtils

End Sub

Sub Activity_Create(FirstTime As Boolean)

Activity.LoadLayout("labels")   
   txt = "Now is the time for all good men to come to my aid and bring beer and pretzels" & CRLF
   cs.Initialize.Size(18).Color(Colors.White).Append(txt).PopAll
   Label1.Text = txt
   Label1.TextSize = 18

Label2.Text = cs

Label1.Height = su.MeasureMultilineTextHeight(Label1, Label1.Text)
   Label2.Height = su.MeasureMultilineTextHeight(Label2, Label2.Text)

End Sub

Attachments

• normalfont.png
    normalfont.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 215
  • largefont.png
    largefont.png
    82 KB · Views: 220

dagnabitboy

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Erel! Problem quickly solved... as usual! So, I take it that CharSequence's are intended to ignore user device settings of font size? Or is that a bug, Erel? Thanks.

Upvote 0

dagnabitboy

Licensed User
Longtime User
I understood what you said, and my label sizing code now works perfectly. But I apparently did not ask my 2nd question clearly, sorry. When I format text with CSBuilder and place it in a label, the size of the text as viewed on the screen doesn't change with the user's device font size (default, large, etc). Is that a bug, or is that it's intended behavior of CSBuilder?

Upvote 0