iOS Question Subscription of service without Apple method?

Nicolás Cieri

Licensed User
Hi, I have a doubt...

Can I handle a subscription method through "Conekta" (https://developers.conekta.com/libraries/ios), that is, a subscription method other than Apple?

I have it already configured to work, but Apple apparently does not want to accept my app because it does not do so through its "in-app purchase API" method.

Any help you can give me? Really what I am charging is a subscription for the same use of the application.

Any help is important, I would like not to have to do it through apple since I have everything configured to work through iOS, Android and Web.

Thanks.

Nicolás Cieri

Licensed User
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/12/28/netflix-no-more-itunes-billing-options/

Or maybe it's best that my users can't register through the app?

That they can only use it, without mentioning anything about a subscription?

Apple also charges 30%.

Maybe if I do everything external outside of the apps, only from my website is the best?

Neither is the simple registration through the app allowed if I am going to charge for my website?

Any comment / suggestion can be very helpful.

Thank you

Upvote 0

Nicolás Cieri

Licensed User
Thanks, I would like to understand a little more, I think that by making some changes in my application, I can make my app "3.1.3 (a)" Reader "and make the payments from another platform.

I would like to understand a little more, it is an Apple policy, why Netflix did it that way, and on Android? Is it allowed ?, Netflix allows registration and payment method on Android.

To understand and know if the changes would have to be made on both platforms or only on iOS.

I know this is a question asked in an iOS forum, but it is a very general topic.

Upvote 0

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think this affects in-app purchases.

Netflix is a Service, same thing with other apps of that genre. So your purchasing the services, not features in the app.

All transactions would have to be handled outside of the app. You cant do it within the App or you have to follow Apples guidelines for In-app purchases.

Upvote 0

nwhitfield

Licensed User
Longtime User
If it is a digital product that people are paying for, as far as I can see, then you have have IPA as an option. But as you say, there are options like making your app a Reader.

I had a concern about subscriptions and the need for IPAs with my last app update, which was approved without any questions being raised, much to my surprise. So this may work - but it's obviously not a model that suits everyone:

1. The app is for a social community, which is run on a not-for-profit basis (but NOT a charity/co-op/CIC; just a UK Ltd company with no shares)
  2. What we refer to in app and on our website as "Subscriptions" are recurring donations
  3. Setup and management of those is handled on the website; the app will launch a web site page if a user needs to check or review their subscription
  4. Whether a member subscribes or not, they all receive the same functionality on website and app, with no limits (eg, unlimited messages and so on)
  5. The benefit a member gets by subscribing is a membership card (either virtual, or a physical one posted to them, if they set up recurring donations)
  6. The app and website allow a member to display or manage their membership card. This function, obviously, is not available to people who haven't paid
  7. Various partners we work with give our members discounts on presentation of the card
We explained this in the note section during app submission, and though I was expecting pushback, we didn't get any - having read of some cases recently, I half expected them to say we had to have subscriptions as an IPA.

You could look at this as giving people everything, and selling some of them the physical card, I suppose.

Whether this would work for a purely commercial organisation, I don't know. Essentially, our business model is "We'll give you everything, and we'll try to make it good enough that you'll want to give us money, and if you do, other people will give you discounts"

Upvote 0