suitable iPhone for testing

pliroforikos

Licensed User
Hello,
Can you please tell me what iphone do i need to buy only for app testing purposes?
I dont need to use it as primary phone as i am fine with android. The apps i am writing are educational or teaching tools so i dont need any super mobile. I'm thinking to get a cheap used 6s i found at 65€.
Thank you

jahswant

Licensed User
Longtime User
The minimum for for me will be an iPhone x. Because you need to be able to install the latest iOS version and use the latest B4i.

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can use iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 with these devices.

iPhone and iPod touch​

• iPhone 13
  • iPhone 13 mini
  • iPhone 13 Pro
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max
  • iPhone 12
  • iPhone 12 mini
  • iPhone 12 Pro
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max
  • iPhone 11
  • iPhone 11 Pro
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max
  • iPhone XS
  • iPhone XS Max
  • iPhone XR
  • iPhone X
  • iPhone 8
  • iPhone 8 Plus
  • iPhone 7
  • iPhone 7 Plus
  • iPhone 6s
  • iPhone 6s Plus
  • iPhone SE (1st generation)
  • iPhone SE (2nd generation)
  • iPhone SE (3rd generation)
  • iPod touch (7th generation)
BUT the next version of ios, is ios 16, in autumn this year. And there are no Iphone 6 on the list.
1659271170938.png

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
If I were you I would try to get a phone 2 or 3 generations after iPhone SE of 2016. I have it and it is almost 7 years old and still updates to the latest iOS. The mean time for an iOS device to be supported with latest iOS update is 7 years - so I am getting to the end of the life. This tells me that 2 or 3 generations after iPhone SE will have at least 3-5 years of support. Search in wikipedia the iOS data and you will see what I tell you. One more thing, when I bought an iPhone 5s from an e-shop (brand new) I couldn't use it because B4i bridge would not connect at all so I gave it to my nephew and I went to this e-shop with a laptop and told them that I needed to test it if it will work with my programs. They agreed, I tried it and it worked so I bought it.

Last edited:

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Here is the article of wikipedia that shows the time an iPhone device is supported in a matrix in the lower part of the article. I am posting it also for my reference if you already found it.

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
Rather than buy one iPhone, I would consider buying a used Mac Mini. Then you can compile with Xcode and debug your apps on the many iPhones in the simulator.

Didier9

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,
Can you please tell me what iphone do i need to buy only for app testing purposes?
I dont need to use it as primary phone as i am fine with android. The apps i am writing are educational or teaching tools so i dont need any super mobile. I'm thinking to get a cheap used 6s i found at 65€.
Thank you