Task Switcher for WM5/6

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My AximX30 had a task switcher that sat as an icon on the notification area of the screen and let you switch between running tasks using a drop down list. I've just got an HTC Diamond (very cool :)! ) and unless I am missing something (quite likely!) to switch between running tasks I press the Home button then use the Task Manager from the Quick Menu. Can anyone tell me a quicker way or recommend a third party switcher?

Second question. On my Axim Basic4ppc could Open from and Save to any folder within "Storage card\MyDocuments". On the Diamond it doesn't seem to see any of the folders in "Internal Storage\My Documents". Is there any way round this?

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
I just found magic button yesterday, but since my use
my diamond already froze 5 times ... I threw it away...
quite a shame it was the best task switch I ever used

agraham, here's the rest of my findings
- Quick Menu 9/10 but on a vga screen the menu items are too small for my taste
- Wtask 8/10 but takes up too much room in the taskbar
- FdcSoft Task Switcher 6/10 needs a hardware button for complete functionality:(
- pBar (1.5) 5/10 good, but i don't like the little arrow and it doesn't play nice with TF3D
- Wisbar2+3 7/10 same issue as Quick Menu and it isn't free
-GSPocketMagic 6/10 same as QUick Menu and the default images don't go with the diamond skin (to lazy to do somethig about it)
HTC taskmgr 8/10 great but only works on the home screen, therefor next to useless :/

Let me know if you find any others or one that you like,
maybe it is possible to hack/tweak one...

yildi

Licensed User
I use the task switching function of SKMenu from SK Software. They can be used from anyware through the close button (I have configured it for this). You have also a lot of other very interesting possibilities for customising your device using this software; very flexible and useful...

SKKV Software

Best regards,

Murat

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for all the suggestions. However I have just noticed that the "last five programs" section of the Start menu work as a quite effective Task Switcher as only one copy of a program can run at any one time on a device. Now how many years has it taken me to notice that:sign0161:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Let me know if you find any others or one that you like
I found HandySwitcher from DinarSoft It costs $9.99 or whatever in your local currency and is very like the Dell switcher provided with my Axim X30 but with a few bells and whistles (like memory use on a per task basis). There is a 15 day trial, I tried it for all of 10 minutes then bought it :)

eww245

Licensed User
My AximX30 had a task switcher that sat as an icon on the notification area of the screen and let you switch between running tasks using a drop down list. I've just got an HTC Diamond (very cool :)! ) and unless I am missing something (quite likely!) to switch between running tasks I press the Home button then use the Task Manager from the Quick Menu. Can anyone tell me a quicker way or recommend a third party switcher?

Second question. On my Axim Basic4ppc could Open from and Save to any folder within "Storage card\MyDocuments". On the Diamond it doesn't seem to see any of the folders in "Internal Storage\My Documents". Is there any way round this?

If your still looking for a task switcher,you should try Mort Buttons. It has a TaskList that can be mapped to a hardware button.
It works great and finger friendly.

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
The problem with the Diamond IMHO is that there is a lack of HW buttons...

otherwis I would've used DotFred's task switcher
but as things stand now i'm using the new version of Wtask (v 1.2.0.0+)