Triggering events from text inside a textbox

linum

Licensed User
I've been searching the forum for information to see if it's somehow possible to trigger an event from the text inside a multiline textbox.

What I'm aiming at is, say for example I have a multiline textbox on a form and two hidden panels. The textbox contains the words "panel1" and "panel2" somewhere inside the written paragraph. What I'm hoping to do is be able to tap and hold on any of the "panel" words and have the corresponding panel appear.

I know I can use buttons or many other methods for making a panel visible but I really need to be able to trigger such controls from within the textbox text to sort of give the impression of a clean multifunctional data document.

Again, I searched the forum and didn't come across anything close to what I'm looking for. Any libraries out there that can help me accomplish this?

Thanks;

linum

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What I'm aiming at is, say for example I have a multiline textbox on a form and two hidden panels. The textbox contains the words "panel1" and "panel2" somewhere inside the written paragraph. What I'm hoping to do is be able to tap and hold on any of the "panel" words and have the corresponding panel appear.

linum

Are talking about a desktop or a device app?

A textbox is an input control, so its value is only known to b4ppc AFTER losing focus...
Using a few dlls you may be able to add a context menu, and then select a word from the already present text, using something like scrolltocaret, and "read" the selected word and place it in the menu. or do whatever...
but only AFTER the text has been entered and the control (textBox) has lost the focus at least once after the last input..

linum

Licensed User
Thanks for the reply. I was talking about a PDA app. The textbox will already have pre-written text already. Thanks for clarifying how I can trigger an event. I will try a few things out and see if I can do what I wanted, if not I'll ask you for more help.

Thank you...

linum

Last edited: