Share My Creation Universal Serial Buddy & Connect!

Heey everybody,

I have released my second app on the android market. :D

ss-3-320-480-160-0-94ceb958f4083c269c464babd7b4a9da84911a95
ss-1-320-480-160-0-89ebe4e7e8fd55240e481e782eec6dc73fbe7bad

So what does the app do:

For example; Parents are worried where there children are, they open Universal Serial Buddy, that is installed on his smartphone and enter the phone number of their childen, press find and tadaa, a static map appears on his phone with the location of the one he would like to find. (note that Universal Serial Connect must be installed on the children phone.)

You can also use this for pranking friends and more.

Universal Serial Buddy:
https://market.android.com/details?id=xtremelyvirtualstudios.xvs.UniversalSerialBuddy

Universal Serial Connect:
https://market.android.com/details?id=xtremelyvirtualstudios.xvs.UniversalSerialConnect

Enjoy :D

XverhelstX

blong

Licensed User
Longtime User
Looks great ...

Do the children/friends etc have control over their privacy on their smartphones ??

i.e. can they "not be found" ??

blong

Licensed User
Longtime User
So to be clear on this ...

If I install the app on my childs phone, then run it once and activate it, then each time the phone is restarted the app starts and runs in background. Correct ?

So to get rid of it would be Manage Applications and Uninstall .. Correct ?

XverhelstX

Licensed User
Longtime User
If I install the app on my childs phone, then run it once and activate it, then each time the phone is restarted the app starts and runs in background. Correct ?

Yes, but on both device you have to enter your ftp settings.
This way, your child will UPload the staticmap to his ftp site, and you will DOWNload the map.

Also note that if you buy Universal Serial Buddy and submit your email in the app, you'll get free ftp settings if you don't know on how to make them.

So to get rid of it would be Manage Applications and Uninstall .. Correct ?

Correct, our with some easy/fast uninstaller that's available on the market.

XverhelstX

Cynikal

Licensed User
Longtime User
So, Child phone is uploading a static map with a pointer to FTP.

Parent phone is downloading it?

Seems really unpractical for the average parent, as im sure they dont know what "FTP" is.

Now, keep in mind im still new to the B4A as I do not know its limitations/functionality yet, but I have been a career programmer for years.

Couldnt you send a HTTP request to a web server, with the coordinates of said location to be stored into a database, and have it be updated every X seconds/minutes.

Transmitting coordinates shouldnt be too bandwidth intensive, as it should be (depending on your php file) only a few bytes.

But, transmit the coordinates, then parents phone sees coordinates and places the mark on parents phone?

Pros to this: More 'real time' information. Ability to charge a monthly usage fee. Less bandwidth used on parents/childs phone usage (especially if having to use a carriers internet...aka non wifi). Wont lag out the childs phone by uploading a picture.

Cons: You are required to maintain a professional looking website. More programming on your end. Make/maintain the database.

Also, curious...

If parent installs on child phone. Activates it, etc.

What happens if the child uninstalls said app? Have you figured out a way to somehow make it..uninstallable?

If they do uninstall...does the parents app pull a OLD picture from the FTP?