Upgrading A Paid Application To An Expanded Version

RichardN

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a paid-app that has been selling for 18 months+ on both the Google store and on iTunes and both are selling very well. After a fair amount of customer feedback I am ready to make some big changes to the apps providing substantially increased functionality. To a new user this functionality will warrant a price increase of something like 50-60%. My problem is.... what do I do with the existing users?

- Do I keep the same package name and effectively 'give away' the new functionality as a free upgrade to existing users?

- Do I simply launch Ver 2 as a MyApp+ version in a completely different package leaving Ver 1 on the market to perhaps detract from the sales of the (more expensive) version 2?

I know that both Android & iOS consumers are able to reinstall an app they have paid for perhaps when changing devices. How is this catered for if I remove version 1 from the store completely?

If I were controlling the sales I would obviously offer existing users the upgrade at a reduced price but that level of control is not available in either store. What is permitted & what is practical ? What should I do?

JonPM

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think if there is truly a substantial increase in functionality then I would go the V2 route. However this should also include a new GUI. If there is no reason to continue supporting V1 after 2 is released then I would pull it from the store and direct users who email you to v2.

RichardN

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for your comments JonPM. I have looked through the terms & conditions of both stores and there seems to be no obligation to continue supporting, or make available for download an app if you decide to stop supplying it.

I see iTunes connect has the option of preventing the app being backed up to the iCloud. Presumably a user is able restore a purchased app that has already been discontinued only if he has backed-up to the iCloud. I have not read up on Google Cloud yet but I guess it has the same capability.

ivan.tellez

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can publish V2 as a different free app (limited) and include the option to unlook full app via a in app purchase. Then, send discounts to the existing customers of V1.

RichardN

Licensed User
Longtime User
The in-app purchases route requires unwelcome extra coding. The promotional code facility Google provide is limited to 500 offers per quarter so is not much good for a big client promotion. It could be done in a so much simpler way at the point of sale.....

- I issue an upgrade to the existing Package1 that provides an appropriate message to the purchaser that an 'all-new' feature enhanced Package2 is now available to him (for a limited period) at reduced price and provide him with a store link to the new product.

- Purchaser visits the store

- If the user is already a registered purchaser of either:

Package1 or
PackageX or
PackageY

Then he is offered Package2 at a reduced price.

- Else

Purchaser is offered Package2 at full price

- End If

A simple solution and one in line with the rest of the world of paid-software marketing. I have written to Google and I am awaiting a reply.... but not holding by breath!