iOS Question Use iphone volume buttons in non-music apps. Possible solution?

miker2069

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm posting this in case someone else needs to know how to do this.

I'd like to use the iphone/ipad volume up and down buttons in a *non music* app. When the user presses the volume up/down buttons when my app is active/foreground, I'd really like to trigger volume up and down events on it.

I know about the technique described here to track volume level. This will return a value between 0 and 1 as the volume buttons are pushed. The problem (or challenge) is that when I get to the min or max condition of 0 or 1, I stop getting triggered events. Since my app doesn't have anything to do with music per se, I'd like to keep tracking when the user presses those buttons. A little googling revealed I could use the following:

B4X:
- (void)volumeDidChange:(NSNotification *)notification {
    [self.bi raiseEvent:nil event:@"volume_changed" params:nil];

}

- (void)addListener2 {
  MPVolumeView *volumeView = [[MPVolumeView alloc] initWithFrame:CGRectMake(18, 340, 284, 23)];
//[self.view addSubview:volumeView];
//[self.bi.view addSubview:volumeView]; didn't quite get this working...

[NSNotificationCenter.defaultCenter
    addObserver:self
       selector:@selector(volumeDidChange:)
           name:@"AVSystemController_SystemVolumeDidChangeNotification"
         object:nil];

[[MPMusicPlayerController applicationMusicPlayer] volume];

}

So in my code in the B4i I added:

B4X:
no.RunMethod("addListener2", Null)

Which will init the VolumeDidChangeNotification and now when I hit the minimum value of 0, I still get triggers and 0 is returned. When I get to the max of 1, I get triggers and still get 1. So I can effectively track which volume up or down button is pressed.

Note, I know I can refine this into one method, I just kept them separate for testing.

Also the line:
B4X:
[self.bi.view addSubview:volumeView];

I didn't work because the calling object is supposed to be a UIViewController (I think). I was attempting to disable the volume increase/decrease overlay. Is there a way to do this?