B4R Code Snippet Using the second core on an ESP32

Get the most out of the ESP32 by running code in Core 0 as well as the default Core 1.

Arduino runs all code in Core 1 and Core 0 is left idle. Use this code to utilize Core 0. Not sure how stable this is but its hasn't given me any trouble yet!

Dual_Core_for_ESP32:
'Sample code to use the second core of an ESP32 from within B4R. B4R code will run in Core 1 and in this example some code can be forced to run in Core 0.
'Created May 2020 - Tron71

#Region Project Attributes
    #AutoFlushLogs: True
    #CheckArrayBounds: True
    #StackBufferSize: 1200
#End Region

Sub Process_Globals
    Public Serial1 As Serial

End Sub

Private Sub AppStart
    Serial1.Initialize(115200)
    Log("Dual Core Sample AppStart")

RunNative("setup", Null)
    RunNative("CheckCore", Null)
    Delay(500)
    RunNative("CoreZeroSetup", Null)
    Dim x As Int = 0

For x = 0 To 255
        Log("Loop running on core 1 - ", x , " times")
        Delay(650)
    Next

End Sub

#if C

TaskHandle_t RunInCore0;        //Create a Task handle

void setup(B4R::Object* o) {
    Serial.begin(115200);

}

void CoreZero( void * pvParameters ){
      Serial.print("This code is running on core ");
      Serial.println(xPortGetCoreID());                     //Returns the core used

// Code placed here will be run in Core 0. All other code will be run in Core 1

for (int i = 0; i <= 255; i++) {
    Serial.print("Loop running on core 0 - ");
    Serial.print(i);
    Serial.print(" times \n");
    delay(350);
     }

vTaskDelete(NULL); //Kill the task when finished unless you are running a continuous loop. Tasks cannot return!
}

void CoreZeroSetup(B4R::Object* o) {
    //create a task that will be executed in the CoreZero() function, with priority 1 and executed on core 0
    xTaskCreatePinnedToCore(CoreZero,"RunInCore0",4096,0,1,&RunInCore0,0);      //More info on https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-idf/en/latest/esp32/api-reference/system/freertos.html
                                                                //     ^ This value specifies the core to use (0 or 1)

delay(500);
}

void CheckCore( void * pvParameters ){        //Call to check where main is running from
  Serial.print("Running on core ");
  Serial.println(xPortGetCoreID());
}

#End if

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I use your solution and it works well in esp32_cam. I would like to set core 0 to b4r code, can you show me how to do it (define a task of b4r code) ?
Thanks