Version handling

tremara1

Licensed User
Longtime User
Has anyone got a special method of keeping track of versions of the same project. I seem to start out ok but as the project grows it just becomes a folder full of files some of which become redundant. I then am not confident to delete them. I would be pleased if someone could give me some guidance.

tremara1
Ballarat Victoria Australia

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
One way would be to add a "SUB" or a "region" and keep there references to all the external files used in the current build...

digitaldon37

Licensed User
Longtime User
Has anyone got a special method of keeping track of versions of the same project. I seem to start out ok but as the project grows it just becomes a folder full of files some of which become redundant. I then am not confident to delete them. I would be pleased if someone could give me some guidance.

tremara1

When I close a project, I always add a comment in the globals with an incremented number and save the project with that number in the file name.

When I open a project, I load the highest version number and immediately do a save as with the number not in the filename (this becomes my "working" copy of the project)

This allows me to roll back to a previous version, and does not work as well when using modules. It also does not work well if multiple people are working on the project and adding code.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It also does not work well if multiple people are working on the project and adding code.
The best solution I have found for this is to use a web based project manager like projectplace...

tremara1

Licensed User
Longtime User
Godd suggestions

Thanks guys, some really good suggestions I will try to implement a system.

tremara1