Android Question Virtual / Device Simulation - Galaxy S7

GuyBooth

Licensed User
Longtime User
I need to make an app work with a Galaxy S7. Currently it is working with an S3, but on an S7 the scale is wrong. I don't own an S7 myself so I need to set up a virtual device to test with.
I haven't used the AVD for a long time, but when I look at it now there is nothing with the screen size of an S7 (2560 x 1440). I wondered if my AVD manager was out of date, but I have the very latest android SDK.
Am I missing something? How do I set up a virtual S7 so I can test it?

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The exact resolution shouldn't really matter assuming that you are always using 'dip' units. This is a 5.1'' device. It is equivalent to a device with 730 x 410 (scale = 1).

You can start with testing your layout with the abstract designer. If the layout looks properly on the Nexus 5 and Table 7'' then it will also look properly on the S7.

Upvote 0

GuyBooth

Licensed User
Longtime User
My problem is within my code, so the abstract designer only goes so far. I really need to be able to access a virtual device.
I tried to set up a virtual device using the AVD manager, but I get a message saying I need to be running the HAXM hardware accelerator.
When I go to the SDK installer, it tells me that the HAXM accelerator is not compatible with Windows (I'm running Windows 10).

Right now I think I have found an answer in my code, but I have no way to test it. Do I have any other options?

Upvote 0

An Schi

Licensed User
In the "share your creation" forum is a subforum "test my app".
Maybe you are lucky and someone there with a S7 to test your app.

Upvote 0

GuyBooth

Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe it helps if you show us your code causing the issue. What exactly is the problem (views too small/text cropped)?
Appreciate the thought - but my issue is not with the code, but that I can't test it.
This comes under the umbrella of "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"
I need to learn how to fish!

Upvote 0

GuyBooth

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can use Genymotion, in latest version you can find Samsung Galaxy S7 emulator.
I am sure it is well worth the money if you are developing commercially. Unfortunately it is too expensive for my budget (=$0 )

Upvote 0