B4J Question WebSocketException: RemoteEndpoint unavailable causing memory leak?

Chris2

Licensed User
I have a long running UI app that appears to have a memory leak. I have a test run that has been going for almost a month. In the last couple of this has gone from using around 500MB to around 2GB as reported in Task Manager.
I realise that Task Manager is not the most accurate of reports so have also started VisualVM running and can see the baseline memory use increasing:
VisualVM.PNG

Following advice already in these forums (thanks to everyone!), I've downloaded Eclipse Memory Analyser and looked at a few Heap Dumps from Visual VM.
The Leak Suspects report seems to point in an obvious direction:

Problem Suspect 1
"The thread java.lang.Thread @ 0x701444f38 JavaFX Application Thread keeps local variables with total size 957,166,720 (68.16%) bytes.
The memory is accumulated in one instance of "java.lang.Thread", loaded by "<system class loader>", which occupies 957,166,720 (68.16%) bytes......"
Accumulated Objects by Class in Dominator Tree
Label Number of Objects Used Heap SizeRetained Heap Size
java.lang.RuntimeException
First 10 of 111,298 objects

These 111,2985 objects are all 'WebSocketException: RemoteEndpoint unavailable' errors. (full error: "java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.api.WebSocketException: RemoteEndpoint unavailable, current state [CLOSED], expecting [OPEN or CONNECTED]")

The app uses websockets to message other clients based on the WebSocket Based Push Framework tutorial & jWebSocketClient library.
With the current setup I'd expect about 10 push messages to be sent every minute or so.

I accept that the websocket will break and reconnect sometimes so am not necessarily surprised that errors are being generated (although this seems like a lot!), but should the errors be retaining so much RAM?

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• LeakSuspects.PNG
    LeakSuspects.PNG
    12 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Pendrush

Licensed User
Longtime User
Used heap is not released, you have memory leak somewhere for sure.
You have ~200MB larger used heap (not released memory) in ~48 hours.

Upvote 0

Chris2

Licensed User
Thanks for your response.
That's what I thought, and the issue seems to be all the websocket exceptions. So my question is how do I stop them retaining memory, or put another way, what could I be doing that would cause these exceptions to be held and not release their memory?

My (very basic) understanding of the Garbage Collector is that if I don't have a reference to an object, then its memory will be 'collected' (i.e. released). I don't understand how I can be retaining a reference to these exceptions though?

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So my question is how do I stop them retaining memory,
Its not the exception objects themselves retaining memory but it seems that local variables are building up in that particular thread and each is holding a reference to an exception object. Ideally those variables need to be identified and nulled - but there my expertise runs out :(

Upvote 0

Chris2

Licensed User
It would be helpful if you upload a project showing the problem.
Or at least post all relevant Code.
Of course, sorry.
The project itself is quite big and sprawling. It connects to a jRDC2 based server app that has the Websocket Push framework server modules added.
The websocket messages from the client are sent from various places with:
B4X:
WSPushService.SendMessageToAll("TextMsg")
The messages are getting through to the other clients, so the connection is OK sometimes at least.

Attached is a project with the relevant websocket modules.

Attachments

• TestWS.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 0

Chris2

Licensed User
Also, in case it helps anyone in helping me, attached is the zipped HTML report that is generated by Eclipse Memory Analyser when you do a Leak Suspect Report.
Thanks.

Attachments

• heapdump-1634807982903-20211021_Leak_Suspects.zip
    83.1 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 0