What do you think about Atlassian Jira?

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I was assigned to manage a mobile app project and the owner decided to use Jira. I think the software (Jira) is very confusing. I messed up with Roadmap and Board (in Next-gen project template using Kanban). I am not so familiar with agile development and the documentation or Get Started articles are not helpful. The software has little bugs such as overlapping calendar view and page sometimes not refresh correctly in different Chrome tab. Anyone use this kind of Project Management tool?

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've never tried Jira myself, but I hear two common opinions about it over and over:

1. It's a bloated mess from hell that everybody with a will to live should stay away from.

2. If you go through the painful process of configuring it to suit your situation, it's absolutely amazing. (Apparently it has insane amounts of configurations.)

Last edited:

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think tools like this maybe suitable for huge project and team. It doesn't make sense to me for a "team" of one or two developers. It causes more damage to productivity than doing any good.

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think tools like this maybe suitable for huge project and team. It doesn't make sense to me for a "team" of one or two developers. It causes more damage to productivity than doing any good.

Agreed. The outlier where it might make sense is if you have a very intricate and strict workflow process that you need to follow. In that case I imagine Jira might make sense for such a small team. After all, for some projects it's a lot more important to make sure that things are exactly correct than it is to be super productive each day. ("Yay, we made rocketship code in two weeks! Oh noes, it exploded 4 seconds after launch!")

Probably still painful though. :)