What's alternative selling method, if you don't have merchant a/c at Google Play?

bsnqt

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am working currently - but for a quite long time - in a country where you still cannot create your own merchant account (and Google Checkout) by Google policy.

What you recommend as an alternative selling method? Amazone? Tucows? Paypal? etc... What are the pros and cons? Where is the best you can publish your apk (after Google Play)? For sure, I understand that Google Play is the best market.

Would you please share your expertise and experience.

I am an individual developer, not a company. Coding is only my hobby, I used to share my free apps some times , but another time I need to sell them if I spend to much efforts in.

Thanks a lot!

P/S. I don't know whether this is the right place to post my thread (if not, please move to the new sub-forum), but it is surely related to how I have to code my app (or using Google licensing, or using other methods?).

EDIT: I made a little search and found some interesting information, for your reference, HERE. But they are the untested methods. Still would like to hear from you guys.

Last edited:

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The real problem is getting visibility and accessibility from smaller markets. There will be less people to download your app.
Other big ones are SlideME, GetJar and also dont underestimate Samsung Apps for emerging and low end markets. Samsung put their app on every phone they sell, and in korea it does great business.

Upvote 0

bsnqt

Licensed User
Longtime User
The real problem is getting visibility and accessibility from smaller markets. There will be less people to download your app.
Other big ones are SlideME, GetJar and also dont underestimate Samsung Apps for emerging and low end markets. Samsung put their app on every phone they sell, and in korea it does great business.

Thanks for your advice.

You are totally correct, the biggest issue is the visibility and accessibility, how your app to reach to end-user and the public from smaller markets.

Do you ever hear or have any experience with Android Application Publisher - Sell your apps in the Market! But it seems they are also not a good solution as they take another 19% in addition to 30% by Google.

What fees are involved?

Google charges 30% to process sales. Android Publisher charges 19% for our services. For example, if an app sells for $0.99, google keeps $0.30, Android Publisher keeps $0.19 and you keep $0.50

How poor we - developers - are :sign0148:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

mc73

Licensed User
Longtime User
in addition to 30% by Google. How poor we - developers - are :sign0148:
I have some apps sold to individuals at a relatively high price, so for these apps I stay away from 'google play'. Yet, if and when I decide to produce something more massive, I think that the 30% is not really that much. It's high but wouldn't I be paying advertisers for that amount as well? After all, if the app is really good and better than the competition, we can always sell at a bit higher price, getting the money we want after subtracting google's fees, don't we? ;)

Upvote 0

TomA

Licensed User
Longtime User
Some alternate markets.

While not as big as Google Play, if you can't sell there, you can try:

The Opera App Store (yes, these are the browser people) - check Developers

SlideMe, already mentioned, at Developers | SlideME

And there is also Amazon at Amazon Developer Services

Upvote 0