What's your goal with B4A????

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I use B4A as a hobby, I don't develop much in my day job, maybe a bit of Excel VBA here and there but no real programs.

I've written a couple of games using B4A in my spare time and setup a website to show people how to use B4A for game development.

Ideally, I'll love to think I could write something that gets a million downloads, with some in-app purchases that allow me to go fulltime on B4A as an indie developer. then get into other android development, like the Gear VR stuff using Unity, but I just can't convince myself that will happen, so it's hard to push myself too much to write the killer game I want to.

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
At this point I've given up on the 'millions' idea.

I would say:
- Gives me a tiny extra income to keep up the dream
- Keeps me sharp and learning
- Gives me an edge in understanding high level and architectural stuff
- Provides me with an alternate social life unbound by timezones

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm somewhat in between tds and Troberg. ..

It's an almost 10 year hobby wich I mainly use to defy myself and learn new stuff as in a per need basis... I hope one day to have a "Million Download" app but it's not a main goal...

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm somewhat in between tds and Troberg. ..

It's an almost 10 year hobby wich I mainly use to defy myself and learn new stuff as in a per need basis... I hope one day to have a "Million Download" app but it's not a main goal...

Well, I hope for a "now I can retire"-app, but I don't expect it to happen. I also hope for it to be 25 degrees C all around the year, and only rain between 3 and 4 in the night, but I also don't expect that to happen...

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
For me it's a fun a challenging hobby that doesn't require very much physical exercise (I prefer a mental work-out ;)). I generally don't publish my stuff because I don't have the time to support it, having said that, my first published app has just exceeded 500 downloads and no ANR or crash reports yet and only one feature request, I'm thinking I may try another release of something??

Maybe one day when I get to retire and have more time I'll be able to devote myself to creating that killer app we all talk about. Until then i'll just keep learning!

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I bought it 4 years ago to write an app for myself that I needed, which I also put on the market. It has paid for my subs for B4a/B4i for a good few years to come, but mainly it's a hobby. I enjoy the challenge and mental stimulus of programming and continual learning, which I have been doing for many years on various platforms.

hookshy

Licensed User
Longtime User
Makeing money and building good app is not the same thing !
Enjoying coding and money makeing does not fit toghether !
Saying that you will be learing to code for 20 years in order to have a succesfull app is another myth .
I have many apps some of them get to top rank app in my country ...some not but all are my success stories in my head or at least this is how I like it to say ... my biggest chanlenge is to enjoy codding without beeing affected by revenue !

doogal

Licensed User
Longtime User
My goal with B4A is to have fun and hopefully make a little money. But lately, I have been struggling with getting my first app finished. Any time I ask a question here on the forums I get sent to the search box or to a tutorial like I haven't already done that already. Sometimes the tutorials just don't make sense and then I ask questions. B4A is just not fun for me any more.(I used to enjoy being creative with B4A) :( I have had this program for a little over 2 years and would like to at least publish 1 app. To finish this app, I want two version free and paid. I don't know which is best two separate apps or in-app purchases. Anyway, both suggestions have there pros and cons.
I know I have some weaknesses in programming, but I want to work on them. Its really hard when questions go unanswered.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@doogal :

too bad you live in another timezone so I miss you always on the chat to help you out.
I'd say keep on trying and it will be finished one day.

I'm having B4a aswell for more than 2 years and didn't publish anything besides my mini-game.
In my case it's more the ideas part and other none B4A projects that eat away my (spare) time.

But as most people here I enjoy helping out people here instead.

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
To finish this app, I want two version free and paid. I don't know which is best two separate apps or in-app purchases. Anyway, both suggestions have there pros and cons.

Two separate apps, using conditional builds, is by far the simplest.

I'm even considering an even simpler model: They are the same app, but the free version is lagging one version behind the paid.

I know I have some weaknesses in programming, but I want to work on them. Its really hard when questions go unanswered.

Now, first, I haven't read your questions (or, if I have, I can't remember it), so don't feel hurt by this, as it may not apply to you.

The most common reasons people get no response or "Duh!" responses.

* People asking questions that probably would be best answered by "Learn to program first. You lack a few steps on your ladder before you can even formulate a sensible question, and even less understand the answer.". Typical question "How do you make a game?". I've heard (but don't know if it's true) that the Chinese have a word, "mu", which means something like "The question is wrong" or "The answer is too big for the question". These people should probably be answered "mu".

* People who don't do their homework. Sure, one can't read an entire forum, but, when the search gives the solution in the first result on the obvious search criteria, people tend to tell the asker to search first.

* People who expect others to do their job. It's one thing to ask how it's done, another to ask people to write sample code for you that will just copy/paste into their project. If you expect people to write a response of more than a few lines, chances are that you are expecting to much.

* People who can't specify what they are asking for. Sometimes, they are too secretive about their app, sometimes they just don't get specific. To give a proper answer, details are needed. For example, a few days ago, someone asked about a fast scrolling view. Depending on what he means and how he is going to use it, the answer will be very different.

* People who don't contribute. Help others out, be active, be nice, and more people will help you. Thank the people who do help you, and provide feedback that it worked. Also, helping others is the best way to learn.

Once again, I can't remember your posts, so these may not apply to you. I just felt that it needed to be said, in a more generic scope.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
* People who don't contribute. Help others out, be active, be nice, and more people will help you. Thank the people who do help you, and provide feedback that it worked. Also, helping others is the best way to learn.

you hit a spot here, I solved several issues the last week. but on most of them the "requester" just gave a LIKE to the post but never posted/replied that it solved his problem.

for him that's nice but for others it's still a big question mark that the proposed code/whatever was actually a solution for that problem.

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The most common reasons people get no response or "Duh!" responses.

* People asking questions that probably would be best answered by "Learn to program first. You lack a few steps on your ladder before you can even formulate a sensible question, and even less understand the answer.". Typical question "How do you make a game?". I've heard (but don't know if it's true) that the Chinese have a word, "mu", which means something like "The question is wrong" or "The answer is too big for the question". These people should probably be answered "mu".

* People who don't do their homework. Sure, one can't read an entire forum, but, when the search gives the solution in the first result on the obvious search criteria, people tend to tell the asker to search first.

* People who expect others to do their job. It's one thing to ask how it's done, another to ask people to write sample code for you that will just copy/paste into their project. If you expect people to write a response of more than a few lines, chances are that you are expecting to much.

* People who can't specify what they are asking for. Sometimes, they are too secretive about their app, sometimes they just don't get specific. To give a proper answer, details are needed. For example, a few days ago, someone asked about a fast scrolling view. Depending on what he means and how he is going to use it, the answer will be very different.

Once again, I can't remember your posts, so these may not apply to you. I just felt that it needed to be said, in a more generic scope.
This golden response will now be burried in an off-topic post :(
Well articulated, should be stickied!

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User

A small addition to this one: If you contribute and help others, people also tend to be more understanding if you occasionally ask something stupid, ask something that could have been easily searched or say something that could be misunderstood as offensive. If they know that you are usually smart and nice, they'll just assume that it's an honest mistake and think nothing of it.

doogal

Licensed User
Longtime User
@sorex
What timezone are you in? maybe I can find time in my busy schedule to meet up with you. I too enjoy helping others when I can. Sometimes its difficult though, but I do try.

@Troberg
Two separate apps, using conditional builds, is by far the simplest.
I saw the tutorial on conditional builds, but I would actually like to see a working model. I tend to learn more from them than broken up bits.
I haven't read your questions
Its Ok that you haven't read my question(s) I'm sure 59,998 other users haven't as well. By the time I post one I'm frustrated and they probably make no sense anyway. So that is probably my fault. I do try to look at the tutorials and try them, but like I said I learn more from working models. I do my homework and don't expect others to write my code for me. That isn't what I want.
I believe in the saying: give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime
I do need help, I know this.
I'm not trying to make excuses here, but by the time I get to sit down. I'm tired and all I want to do is code. I want to learn. I'm helping all day and exhausted.
"Learn to program first.
I did go to College once upon a time eons ago. I took programming classes and learned a few languages. COBOL, VB.NET, and started to learn JAVA then I got colon cancer and had to drop out. Never went back. :( I took these classes because I am disabled and wanted something I could do from home to earn a little money. However, it never took off. When I found B4A I was excited and I thought I could put my VB learning to use and create an app for my phone. Sadly, I forgot a few things like how to use arrays, loops, the only thing I really remember is if then. So I search the forum for help and try really hard not to ask stupid questions.

I am almost done with an app with the help of some of you guys. Though I stil struggle with conditinal builds, paid vs. free app, in-app purchases. I'm not sure which way to go at this point.

By the time I search the forums to learn about a topic and try I get frustrated and tired. I have already put in a long day taking care of my sick wife(cancer) and all I want to do is create something that works on my own. So I hesitate asking stupid or questions that have already been asked millions of times.
Thank the people who do help you, and provide feedback that it worked.
When I like a post I usually change the title to Solved. To me a like is a Thank you. I am very thankful of the help that I do get, but when the like system was implemented I didn't feel the need to reply with a Thank you. Maybe I should start again.

Doug

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
As I said, doogal, I don't remember your posts (I seldom remember who posted what...), so my comments was not directed towards you. I had just seen a large bunch of such posts in the forum recently and needed to say it.

As for conditional builds, just read on the #if directive. It's really simple and really powerful. It's bit off topic here, though-

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@sorex
What timezone are you in? maybe I can find time in my busy schedule to meet up with you. I too enjoy helping others when I can. Sometimes its difficult though, but I do try.

what is is called again CET or GMT+1 or something? summerized... we sleep when you join and you leave when we wake up :)