Android Question Where is it documented & How do I add a menubar in Scene Builder ?

DarylSpitfire

I saw your code snippet of Dec 18, 2013 which shows creating a menu (to select Port a, b or c) purely in B4J. I tried that and it worked. But I've searched all through the 'Online Community' and all through the JFX and Scene Builder sites (for several hours) and found no answers. Stackoverflow came close but not. I can drag most controls and containers and library items into the UI design area in Scene Builder. I can make them whir and clatter in the B4J app. I've tried all kinds of combinations in Scene Builder to get a menu in it; and the only visibility is that "Drag Library Items Here" changes to "Content of this document cannot be displayed". I tried various containers in which I'd drop a menu &/or menuitems, but nothing would stick. I could drag a menu &/or items straight down into the heirarchy and they show up ok and I can rearrange them there, set properties; but nothing is previewed or available after I save it and go back to B4J. Your snippet doesn't say how to use an FXML layout form (with controls plus a menu).

I guess I'm use to other IDE's like Pythons and MS's .NET and Digia's QT4 (and even the old VB6) where I could drag a menu bar onto the layout and then populate it with menuitems and go from there.

So, is there a way to use scene builder to instantiate a menubar in the fashion I'm expecting?
Are my expectations wrong?

I also looked at B4A and it has no menubar under [Designer][Add View]. Are there more things (UI elements) in libraries somewhere and will they work with 'Designer' in B4A or Scene Builder in B4J? The whole thing seems rather fragmented and that makes for a very steep learning curve, high support burdens and loss of market share. I'm not a customer, yet, if ever, and these difficulties are not enticing me in.

More generally, where is the documentation for these tools. I hate to keep asking questions here. I use the online help in all of these tools and within those I tried all kinds of searches, to no avail. And suppose I want to use these tools where I have no internet, isn't there downloadable offline documentation somewhere?