Who wants to start a very part time game dev team?

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I want to try doing a team project, writing an Android game using B4A and libgdx. I know there's a number of members here who have written some simple games using this, but I'd like to try doing a team project.

I won't have much time to dedicate to the project, only a few hours per week, so it will probably be over a long period of time.

I have a couple of game ideas in mind to try if any one is interested:
Cannon fodder clone
platform game (super mario style)
overhead racing game
Lemmings style game
Alien breed game
Command and Conquer game

For running the project, I would suggest everyone uses shared dropbox folders
We can use a scrum board like Scrummy (scrummy.com), Trello looks really good too this will let us keep track on who's working on what, and how they are doing.
We will release regular releases to the public for testing and eventually release the final game on the Google play store (either free or paid depending on quality of the game)

Who want's to be involved?

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I still have an A600 and I recently modded it with usb based floppy emu & SD card as boot drive for the workbench.

Should copy Cannon Fodder to it as I barely remember how you had to play it.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I wrote a version of Cannon Fodder using BlitzBasic on the PC about ten years ago. I got a publishing deal to release it, but then the publisher when bust and they were also demanding too many additional features (like A* pathfinding). It was very advanced though and I wish I still had the source code.

It had rainy levels, snowing level, desert levels and jungle levels, buildings, rivers, bridges, controlling multiple soliders at once, it was the most advnaced game I've ever written and I've never done anything like it since.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I want to try doing a team project, writing an Android game using B4A and libgdx. I know there's a number of members here who have written some simple games using this, but I'd like to try doing a team project.

I won't have much time to dedicate to the project, only a few hours per week, so it will probably be over a long period of time.

I have a couple of game ideas in mind to try if any one is interested:
Cannon fodder clone
platform game (super mario style)
overhead racing game
Lemmings style game
Alien breed game
Command and Conquer game

For running the project, I would suggest everyone uses shared dropbox folders
We can use a scrum board like Scrummy (scrummy.com), Trello looks really good too this will let us keep track on who's working on what, and how they are doing.
We will release regular releases to the public for testing and eventually release the final game on the Google play store (either free or paid depending on quality of the game)

Who want's to be involved?

sounds interesting.. do you want also to create a team account in google play that can be access by all team members? or how did you think it should be??

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
We could do a team account, not put that much thought into it yet. Just wanted to get a small team together and start working on something. Obviously we will upload to Google play at some, then possibly convert across to iOS later if it turns out well on Android. Anyone feel free to PM me if you want to get invloved, it would be good if people have written some simple games before joining. I've got two simple games on the google play store under the company name "coffee induced games", I've also got some history writing simple games using Blitz basic, which you can see at http://www.coffeeinducedgames.co.uk

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
No members yet! But please feel free to let me know if anyone is interested, this is just an idea for a very relaxed part part project to write a game as part of a team using something like dropbox to sync files and might be a good way to improve your skills by seeing how other developers write.
A Google plus group would be a good idea to track the project and post public updates for other B4A devs to read.
If no body joins, I'll just set all this up, then start working on a game, then when people want to join and start contributing, they can just join the group and start working when they want.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I reallly would like to do something with you together but something bigger then what you wrote above...

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm interested but don't know what I have to offer to the 'team' having never used LibGXD before or created any game that is past being very basic. I have pretty good coding skills for basic logic and database type Apps. I spend most of my free time checking the forum to answer questions that I feel confident about replying too.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
You sound perfect. I'm really looking at this as aproject people can learn from and not a big thing. Any skills from outside of games programming will be really useful, games need much more than just graphics, they need database programming, networking, file management, etc.... LibGDX is pretty easy to learn, I learnt the basic myself in a few days, enough to write a Flappy bird clone which I did quick tutorial series on here: https://easyandroidcoding.wordpress...-clone-using-basic4android-and-libgdx-part-1/

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm interested aswell but coding is only 1 part of the game.

Who's good at gfx or music?

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks, I'm surprised how many people are interested in game programming online. I started a youtube channel shwoing blitzbasic tutorials a while ago, I've now got 1826 subscribers, and 378000 views so far, my most popular videos are Android programming using basic4android part 1 (51K views) blitz basic programming for beginners part 1 (34K views)

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
is that blitz basic related to the blitz basic on C64? that one compiled it's basic source to assembly to gain speed.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
No, it's BlitzBasic that was on the Amiga and then later the PC. My video tutorials are for the Blitz Basic on PC, it's old now, but excellent for prototyping games or even writing full games if you don't need anything too fancy.