Who's still naming their files the DOS days?

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am still using the same naming convention from DOS times..
mydoc.txt
my_doc.txt
and so on..

I still have a great wall between me and the dash "-" and instead I use underscore, I have the old feeling that if I used space or more that 8 characters then I will be slammed in the face with the famous error message..

Anyone else or you guys are all post modernity?

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Count me in, Beja.
Short names (but often more than 8 chars), underscores and just one dot before a 3-chars standard extension. That's on Windows PCs.
On Linux I use names like "mydbname.20160301.dump.sql" so I can't claim to be an 8.3 purist!

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
very long names with underscores and no spaces before dot and 3-char extension ("20160302_v2_source_code_modified_not_tested_yet_but_compiles_ok.zip") :D

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
So do I (even on Linux...) :(

mangojack

Licensed User
Longtime User
very long names with underscores and no spaces before dot and 3-char extension ("20160302_v2_source_code_modified_not_tested_yet_but_compiles_ok.zip") :D
Thats not a Name .... Thats a story ! ......... not_ tested_yet_but_compiles_ok_and_lived_happily_ever_after.zip :)

Still short name and extension , no underscores... but a bit more descriptive than dos days.

Last edited:

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

JordiCP.. This is a telegraph! - today's generations don't know what telegraph means, they only know like, lol, brb, sms, text.. please text me.. I texted you.. When my father sent me to the post office to send a telegraph, he counted the words and calculated the cost.. because post office charged by the word... amazing all this technological achievements happened in one's life.

Last edited:

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is a telegraph! - today's generations don't know what telegraph means, they only know like, lol, brb, sms, text.. please text me.. I texted you.. When my father sent me to the post office to send a telegraph, he counted the words and calculated the cost.. because post office charged by the word... amazing all this technological achievements happened in one's life.
So true. Technology is what has most changed, but the underlying principles remain similar: You have something to say/transmit. It is translated/coded with some mutually agreed dictionary, which, in some cases, is fixed, and in other cases goes along with the message (but once again there are rules that allow the receiver to understand at least this part and then proceed with the rest). In some cases then it is compressed and finally scrambled. Then translated to the physical layer (1's and 0's or "." and "-" converted to electrical pulses, light, logical levels, with or without clock, or modulated, each symbol corresponding to one or more bits). The receiver implements the same logic but from bottom to top.

ISO's OSI levels describe how these different layers work and how they are related to each other, and many implementations are based on it. I think this is a key piece.
That is why nowadays it seems "so easy" (ehem), to integrate new standards to our daily life (for instance, a new RF modulation scheme) as soon as they appear:
  • The end-user doesn't even notice it (just can enable or disable that peripheral).
  • The programmer gets the API with the related Subs and events, and works with it as with any other " transmission channel".
  • The embedded developer just has access to some registers which give access to low-level information and implements the API for the above
  • The chip manufacturer offers some registers which allow the developer to customize and control its behaviour
Of course there are many more details and intermediate layers involved, but it is nice to see the whole image of it.:)

Johan Schoeman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Some of my first computer experiences were at the time when MS-DOS ruled - no Windows or any of the fancy stuff whatsoever...the good old days of MS-DOS. Some people are astounded when one goes to the DOS prompt and do things like COPY.... or CD \... or DIR/W or DIR/P or some of the other well known DOS commands...