Android Question Wich Rs232 <-> Bluetooth converter for B4A ?

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
I have a gps with rs232 output on db9 connector
I would like to 'read' the information coming from the gps with an Android smartphone, creating a B4A program for inserting some particular functions
Can you recommend a rs232 to bluetooth converter that is 'seen' correctly by the code of a B4A program?

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User

But you can build your own:

Pay attention to handshake and null configuration with software "handshake".

I would use an esp8266 possibly with LLT if the voltage levels were more than 3,3V and post the received bytes to mqtt broker.

Upvote 0

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
Yes, I've seen that converter before, it's quite common on Amazon too
But I think it must be powered via USB I was looking for a device that was powered exclusively by the rs232 port connector
I know that some have a system to 'suck' current from the rts/cts/dcd lines and power the converter's internal electronics

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
I googled it and found out that rs232 signals are valid in the range (+3...+15V and -3...-15V) so you can check it out if you have a voltometer. Maybe you can build it yourself from the previous video from the DSR connection in your gps taking under notice the undeline voltage. Download the application "components pinout" and search > by family > cables (everything you need is in there for the DB9 plug).

Upvote 0