Will not run avd manager, advice needed

mistermentality

Licensed User
Longtime User
Haven't been able to program for a while as was waiting for new laptop, I now have it (64 bit Windows 7 operating system) and installed as usual, did a test compile and all works except for the emulator. The version is B4A 1.6 as unable yet to buy newer version but works fine otherwise.

I ran the avd manager and instead it brings up the sdk manager not the window where you can create a virtual android device, and says it needs to install one package (android sdk tools revision 15). I said okay and get this message

"Installing Android SDK Tools, revision 15
Failed to rename directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\tools to C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\temp\ToolPackage.old01."

However even closing B4A and disabling the antivirus so nothing is using the folder still results in that error. Any ideas why?

At the moment I cannot run an emulated device, and would like to be able to so any help is appreciated in solving this problem. If it helps provide an answer my laptop has 4 GB ram with Windows 7 premium 64 bit installed and does compile apps fine just will not run the emulator and gives this error.

Thanks.

Dave

bluejay

Licensed User
Longtime User
See also this thread http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4android-updates-questions/12161-sdk-avd.html#post68618

By default the Java sdk gets installed in Programs (x86) (note you need the 32 bit version not the 64 bit version).

I have 64bit windows 7 with sdk in programs (x86) and B4A is working fine except I needed a separate short cut to the AVD manager, see above post.

Note that you should not store 'user data' in programs folder due to windows security issues.

Tip: I use a folder c:\Progs for legacy programs that don't know how to deal with Vista and Win7 security or spaces.

bluejay

Upvote 0

mistermentality

Licensed User
Longtime User
Delete your C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk folder and reload the SDK into a folder without spaces in the name, like C:\Android. It is never a good idea on Vista and later to stick things in" Program Files" that don't automatically get installed there.

Do you mean uninstall all the sdk package and reinstall to a folder with no spaces? I just let it install to where it defaulted but if reinstalling will help it perform better will do so, just that with a slow internet connection it takes me a while to redownload all the files so wanted to check before I do so..

See also this thread http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic...html#post68618

By default the Java sdk gets installed in Programs (x86) (note you need the 32 bit version not the 64 bit version).

Thanks for that link, did not see that when looking through the forum. I am using the 32 bit version though but should now have a way to start the emulator :)

Checked out the reviews for the link you posted, seems a very nice alternative to an emulator though ideally I shall be using the emulator I have already told some friends about it as I know a few people with Windows 7 who want to run android apps but don't want to mess with things like sdk tools to do it.

Dave

Upvote 0