Windows 10 and the Raspberry 2?

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
True, but how many Windows users just might go and buy a Raspberry now? :)
While I am not a Linux user I do have one and use it for RasPlex.

It will be fun to see what happens.

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that, for the average Windows user to buy it, it will have to be far more "gadgetized". No "buy a circuit board, do some magic to get Windows on a memory card and then maybe get it to work". It has to be ready to run out of the box, configured and ready, probably for a specific application (say, media center).

However, if that's what you are making, why pay license money to MS (probably more than the hardware cost...), when you can just prepackage with Linux for free. The user won't know the difference, as they only see the frontend (say, XBMC) anyway.

So, I think that MS is kind of missing the target, especially if they aren't planning to release an open and free version of Windows.

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
It seems a little late for Microsoft to be joining the party, and what do they hope to gain from it? The Pi is all about getting people (especially kids) interested in programming, as it seems that since the early eighties the art of coding has been watered down to little more than setting up an MS Word document to enable homework to be done and maybe create a CV, along with a few formulae in MS Excel. Microsoft are probably very happy about this as kids 'need' to use Microsoft Office and who here with kids hasn't got a home copy of Office? And don't forget all the licensed copies of Office in schools. This then proliferates into the work place as those same kids leave school and get jobs, knowing only how to use the familiar MS Office programs.
This is a very nice position for Microsoft. Maybe now they are feeling threatened? Too much exposure to Linux and the likes of Open Office etc could severely start to affect the MS profits!

But on a side note @JakeBullet70 I've just seen your sig and it made me smile. I like that a lot!

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
Late? That's an understatement.

Last week was this:

Microsoft is providing the full .NET server stack in open source, including ASP.NET, the .NET compiler, the .NET Core Runtime, Framework and Libraries, enabling developers to build with .NET across Windows, Mac or Linux.

Like I said, it will be interesting... :)

And I try to bring the idea of my sig to work everyday!!!

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
I love XBMC!
I use Plex because I am out of the country at the moment. I also have a Ouya but it's not nearly as fun. :(

Plex on the Raspberry 1 is too slow, I have over 4000 movies and it takes 4-8 minutes to find something. But once found plays fine.

Last edited:

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I love XBMC!
I use Plex because I am out of the country at the moment. I also have a Ouya but it's not nearly as fun. :(

Plex on the Raspberry 1 is too slow, I have over 4000 movies and it takes 4-8 minutes to find something. But once found plays fine.
4000 movies!!!!! :eek:
What you need is this.. http://www.howtogeek.com/195099/how-to-recreate-the-channel-surfing-experience-on-xbmc/
With it you have your own random movie selection, and with that many movies it would be like having your own satellite broadcasting company. You could call it JakeTV :D

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
Oh yeah!!! I use to use that channel surfing... When I was in Country. I am An American Living in Ukraine. (Long Story) Got to love Plex at this point! XBMC still has a better interface but NO streaming.

I do have enough content for JAKE TV!! LOL Hundreds of TV shows with Too many episodes.

I have 2 raid arrays, Hardware based on a older 3ware 16 port raid card... 4 * 3tb WD Reds and 4 * 1tb WD greens and 2 * 250gig Boot drives. All running on a Intel Core I3 with 4GIG of RAM.

But... The Plex server that does the transcoding runs on a Dell server. Eight Opteron cores @ 2.8ghz with 32 Gig of ram. (Cost, $250 US Dollars, EBAY!!!)

Someone shoot me... I am a nerd!!!

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
Your not the only one (although you win me hands down). I've +600 films on my server and possibly another couple of hundred that are on DVD which I've not got round to ripping yet. My box is a HP MicroServer N40L with a software RAID 5 array. It's a very nice box but I'm starting to get concerned that the drives are getting old. The SMART info on the drives is reporting them all as 'old aged' and one is over 5 years old. I'm thinking that I should get some new drives and opt for a RAID 6 this time as it's often the case that when rebuilding an array after a failed drive it stresses the other drives and can result in another failure. Which with RAID 5 would be catastrophic :(

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
I love the HP Microserver's. I once lost a whole array when rebuilding when another drive went down. :(

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I love the HP Microserver's. I once lost a whole array when rebuilding when another drive went down. :(
That's my worry. Rebuilding the array because of a failed drive stresses the others and with RAID 5 it would be disastrous to lose a second drive. I need to do something before I end up in that situation. Plus drives appear to have come down to a reasonable price again now (not quite as low as they once we're, but getting there).
Had a power cut last night and it's survived this time, but it's survived a few now. Maybe I should get a small UPS at the same time so that it can shutdown nicely.

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a small UPS, only last 10 minutes but has USB so it sends a shut down cmd to the server.
I paid $115 for each of my 3 TB reds. GREAT NAS drives.