Windows Vista and USB-memory

BjornF

Licensed User
Longtime User
I know that this is truly off-topic but....

I have a computer with Vista and whenever I put in a USB-stick or external hard-disk in the USB contact, Vista (actually Windows Media Player) insists on indexing the memory and "relevant files". It annoys me even with small memories, but when there is a large memory (> 1GB) it takes a long time and while it happens the cursor keeps blinking. :mad:

Does anyone know if it is possible to shut off this function? (I know that it is possible once the memory has been indexed, but I want to stop it starting:sign0010::sign0010:)

all the best / Björn

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
IDoes anyone know if it is possible to shut off this function? (I know that it is possible once the memory has been indexed, but I want to stop it starting)
Indexing is different to syncing and I don't think Windows Indexing service indexes removeable media. You can check by plugging the device in, right click and open Properties in Windows Explorer and see if the General tab has a checkbox "Index this drive...". If it has clear it.

If it is Media Player then it is trying so sychronise the device because it thinks it is a media device. Not all USB devices are recognised as such and I don't know what it is looking for. I have three identical 2 GB USB sticks but Media Player only shows one particular one in the sync menu, it ignores the others. Plug the device in, open Media Player, click the Sync button at top right and select your removeable device. Click Setup sync and at the top left of the Device Setup windows there is a checkbox "Sync this device automatically". Clear this box and click Finish. With a bit of luck it will now ignore it - if not I don't what else to do!

BjornF

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for the reply Graham, I think you are right, it is the synch feature that is causing the problem.

Unfortunately it doesn't solve the issue since the laptop is often used for presentations and many students come with their own memory sticks (yes I know that it increases the risk of viruses but it is the only practical possibility), and so it is often a new memory stick which has never been in the computer before.

Oh well, I suppose that I will just have to keep the taskmanager open to kill the process when it starts. I would prefer Vista to show a little less autonomy :(

all the best / Björn