Wish: Auto Library Update + Tab'ed Editor

DKCERT

Licensed User
Longtime User
First of all: I really like B4A :)

I would like to suggest an Auto Library Update button or Menu entry in the Editor. I find the manual update process doesn't do B4A credit. My idea is to have a XML-file ready for download (by the editor) containing the latest libraries, their versions and a marker if a registered B4A version is needed for download and install. It should be pretty easy to let the editor run through the current installed libraries and match them against those in the XML.

Second suggestion: Make the editor a tab'ed version so it's possible to have multible projects loaded at the same time. I often test specific code on a real device before including it in my main project. With tabs you get a good overview.

Thanks.

magarcan

Licensed User
Longtime User
First of all: I really like B4A :)

I would like to suggest an Auto Library Update button or Menu entry in the Editor. I find the manual update process doesn't do B4A credit. My idea is to have a XML-file ready for download (by the editor) containing the latest libraries, their versions and a marker if a registered B4A version is needed for download and install. It should be pretty easy to let the editor run through the current installed libraries and match them against those in the XML.
This is a really good idea. In mi case, the only libraries I've updated are those which I've used recently.

magarcan

Licensed User
Longtime User
+1 for the libraries
not so much interested in the tabbed interface for projects because so far separate windows work out better for me.
but docking the designer etc would be good.
Working so is better for me too, but I really think a system for updating libraries is needed.

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm going to have to agree on this too. :D

I too have felt that not having some kind of built-in library browser/update system doesn't seem right in an otherwise A+ product. I agree that there must be some way of sorting out access based on B4A being licensed (obviously B4A itself must know).

I have often discovered that I missed library updates simply because I don't receive email notifications if someone merely edits the first post in the official libraries section (I'm subscribed to the thread).

MartinP

Licensed User
Longtime User
Auto-update on the libraries would be great - I've only recently (this week) purchased a copy of the IDE (loving it so far) but the download contained outdated libraries (phone being one of them - 1.71 came packaged in the install, but I see 1.75 is the current) - had I not checked I wouldn't have known that my 2-3 day download was outdated.

Cheers, and keep up the great work - awesome stuff so far!

Martin

joseluis

Licensed User
Longtime User
A system to track the online version of the installed libraries which enables to update and install new ones would be so, so... sweet. :)

kickaha

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just curious, but why do you all feel the need to have the latest libs at all times?

I work on the basis of if the lib does what I want it is current enough, and only check for updates if I see issues or limitations.

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Initially I thought it is a pain to keep checking the forum and downloading the latest libs with any new fixes or features. But well, now Im on the forum all the time anyway!
And now I have come to the realisation that there is another issue: compatibility.
Not all versions of a library are compatible with all versions of B4A.

MartinP

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just curious, but why do you all feel the need to have the latest libs at all times?

I work on the basis of if the lib does what I want it is current enough, and only check for updates if I see issues or limitations.

Because updates aren't just for new features - it's more important to have recent versions for any bug fixes etc, that's my reason anyway.

Martin

NeoTechni

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm going to have to agree on this too. :D

I too have felt that not having some kind of built-in library browser/update system doesn't seem right in an otherwise A+ product. I agree that there must be some way of sorting out access based on B4A being licensed (obviously B4A itself must know).

Yes. When it requests data from the server, it provides the registration key.

Jost aus Soest

Licensed User
Longtime User
+1

Especially an update system would be very useful!

At least an information about "there is a update" is a must have (and it doesn't need any licence information).

kanaida

Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree as well. Perhaps a little window to show all published libraries, where we could click the ones we would like to download and get em all with one click, as well as publish our own if we make new ones, side by side with auto-updates.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There will be no such Addition to B4A. See here.