Wish: automatic incremental of version code

adolleschal

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi!

It would be great if we could have the option of automatic incrementation of the version code integer each time a compile job is runnning.

Thanks.

Best regards
Andreas

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
But surely the version numbers would fly up as technically you are compiling each time you run your code. So everytime you run it test something version would go up.

Now I don't know how fluent and accurate you guys code but I would be on version 100 + before initial release lol

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

Roger Garstang

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm with barx on this one. I actually prefer testing my code and not just typing away, hitting compile, and thinking my code is perfect. There are enough untested apps full of bugs out there as it is. This would need to be something that maybe only happens on a Release Compile...and even then still an option since sometimes I compile code and slap it on my phone to test later and don't want to wait on the debug connection.

Right now we have an integer and a string to work with. I'd need a major version only I change and a build number that would be auto incrementing for this to be useful.

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm going to have to agree with Barx and Roger. No offense to the OP but I was surprised anyone agreed, only because I'd be on version 500 on the first day of coding.... and I thought that was normal. :sign0025:

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
In VB the Versionnumber is Major.Minor.Build, with (optionally) Build auto incrementing.
That's the way I like it...

Well, put that way it makes more sense. I suppose it probably depends on how you do your version numbers, and there is no right or wrong way.

I typically do a.b.c, with c being any kind of minor revision, b being a bit more "serious" and a being some pretty big changes. But I don't increase any numbers on a per-build basis, but rather it increases one time when the final result is made public.

joolzg

Licensed User
Longtime User
id say yes, in my jam build system i have the same system and currently my code is at 3.2.35600

the build number is for me, the customers see the 3.2

joolz