WISH: IDE Navigation

Biscuit

Licensed User
Longtime User
I haven't read about this in v1.6 (the 'next release' at the time of writing) or in this part of the forum so here's my wish...

I work in Visual Studio all day in my day job and it's obviously a pretty awesome tool. I don't expect b4a to compete with it but some of the simpler nice-to-have productivity features could be 'borrowed'.

Go Back
I'd like to be able to go back to where you were in the source after doing something. Eg, you have some big Sub called DoStuff and it calls DoMoreStuff and then DoEvenMoreStuff and so on. You end up spending a lot of time going back and forth between the main sub and the other subs it calls. Already having 'Go to Definition' is brilliant and helps going into those interesting subs but we're missing the ability to jump back again to where you came from. I think this would reduce programming time and make b4a more usable.

Find All References
This is probably a bit harder to implement but I think it's probably the single most useful thing in Visual Studio. I had to fix an app in VS 2003 the other day and felt lost without being able to use Find All References (it was introduced in 2005). The brilliance of this feature is you can quickly get a feel for how important a sub is that you're about to change based on how much it's called. It also informs your thinking before you change it because you know the scope.

I think these two features would be really cool :sign0098:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Find All References
It's not quite the same but if you double-click on, say, a Sub name then all the occurrences in the present module are highlighted and a set of blue markers are displayed on the vertical scrollbar showing the position of any occurrences not presently visible in the source pane.