Workaround for GPS problem

BerndB

Licensed User
FS Loox 720
GPS CF-Card: SysOnGPS
WM 2003 SE
serial2.dll
B4PPC 6.50

Since I discovered Andrews great Thread DLL (which only runs with optimized compilation) I am searching for a workaround for an old problem I have with GPS and optimized compilation.
More Details you can find here: http://www.b4x.com/forum/questions-help-needed/2333-ppc-hanging-after-switching-gps-off.html
This problem is similar with the new GPSSerial DDL

Threading would be nice to have for speech output while continuing with collecting new GPS data.

As a workaround I only see to collect GPS data in an own application in legacy mode (is this correct for synonym with NOT optimized compilation?) which stores Coordinates and other interesting data into a file.

The navigation application, running with optimized compilation has to read this file.
This is not really elegant and I see difficulties in synchronization of write / read to one file every second without getting conflicts.

:sign0085:
Therefore I want to ask If somebody here in the forum sees a better and nicer solution for this problem.

Thanks a lot,
Bernd

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This problem is similar with the new GPSSerial DDL
Because that too is using the .NET SerialPort.

Threading would be nice to have for speech output while continuing with collecting new GPS data.
In fact even if you run speech on the main thread GPSSerial will keep collecting data while speech is happening as all the parsing work is done on the the SerialPort interrupt thread so you should get up to date data once speech has finished. This is the case for both optimised and legacy mode applications.

I am afraid that I have no idea why you get hangs when optimised compiled but not when legacy compiled. Does the whole device hang or just your application?

BerndB

Licensed User
Hello Andrew,

thank you for replying.

As far as I remember I had to soft reset the device.
I can't test it now, but i will tell you tomorrow.

regards
Bernd

BerndB

Licensed User
Hello Andrew,

thank you for digging deeper again!

I tested a lot now, and realized that there is a port splitter.

I deactivated the port splitter and so far it seems to work stable in optimized compilation as well.:)

I now will open a new Thread to ask whether one knows an other port splitter to test. (mine is serilot).

Thanks a lot once more,
cheers
Bernd