Write Executed Basic4ppc Statements During Program Execution

Louis

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel, Another programming language has quite a useful feature of writing out executed source code statements to a file before actually executing the statement. For a blind person this is useful because we could see what statement crashed our program when an error message doesn't pop up. This language also not only shows lines of code executed by the machine during the interpretation of a program, it shows you the values of all used variables before your program crashed or ended. This would also be useful so you can elliminate msgbox calls in code and it would be less intrucive to the overall source code. This would also be nice because a blind person cannot use the provided debugging tools provided by the desktop IDE. Is this possible?

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This would also be useful so you can elliminate msgbox calls in code and it would be less intrucive to the overall source code.
The Tracer in my http://www.b4x.com/forum/additional...-legacy-optimised-applications.html#post27120 can help you in this although it does not at the moment have the option to save its contents to a file. I can add this if it would be useful.

Also, as long as Erel puts the "hooks" into the next version of the IDE that I've discussed with him, I can give you a program execution trace like you describe on both desktop and device. It would drastically slow down program execution, especially on the device, and provide huge files so we would probably have to have a mechanism to restrict it to one or more specified Subs but in principle it would be possible.

Last edited:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the idea Louis :icon_clap:. I've had a fun few days implementing this as a Recorder object in my Debug suite. At the moment, like the Runner which can break and step applications on both device and desktop, it will only work with optimised compiled applications that have been recompiled by my DebugRecompiler. Also, like the Runner, it should work in both device and desktop IDEs provided that Erel implements the hooks I have discussed with him in the next version of Basic4ppc.

I am not going to post the updated Debug suite in the libraries thread until I have tested it with the next version of Basic4ppc but if anyone wants a play they can have a beta version.