Java Question Request: A step-by-step tutorial to create a B4A library

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think many B4A users are not familiar with Java and Esclipe (that's why we love B4A). It's very good if Erel could make a step-by-step tutorial (with screenshots) to teach us how to create a simple library.
:sign0085: :sign0085: :sign0085:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree with Erel. There is far too much knowledge required for a step by step approach. It is quite a long learning process if you don't already posess some of the required knowledge.

First you need to know Java although a C# background gets you most of the way.
Then you need to know how use Eclipse and how to make Java projects in Eclipse.
Then you need a good idea of how Android works with whatever functionality you want to implement in your library.
Only now are you at the step by step stage that Erel has already outlined here.

stratus

Licensed User
Longtime User
Personally i know java.I have already upload two programs in market.But i am confused how to make my own library

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
If I know Java I don't buy B4A!

mtw

Licensed User
Longtime User
If I know Java I don't buy B4A!

Sure you would, I know java and still like b4a, not even using the visual designer I still prefer b4a and I really don't like basic :) .. but I'll stick with b4a, by far the best and easiest way to write programs for androids. ;)

Brad

Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree with mtw. I know java, been using Eclipse for around 6 months, and have created a couple of commercial apps. Programming with java can be exhausting and very time consuming. B4A is great for rapid development which means being first on the market.

Bob Katayama

Licensed User
Longtime User
Step by Step Library Creation

I don't think that it is possible without learning Java.

Would it be possible to have like a shell code that users can fill in the blanks with their own specific code to get the basics written?

Like standard files included with header lines or a very simple library example that can be modified to suit and learn from?

Similar to how anyone can access Google Gadget code which includes JAVA and XML code which can be modified to create new Gadgets instead of writing them from scratch?

Bob

Cynikal

Licensed User
Longtime User
Anything 'Basic' is great for rapid application development... However, if you read through the forums, there are limitations...

Eclipse is great for picking up where RAD tools such as B4A limits you.

nacnud

Licensed User
Longtime User
Limitations...

Anything 'Basic' is great for rapid application development... However, if you read through the forums, there are limitations...

Eclipse is great for picking up where RAD tools such as B4A limits you.

I am interested in buying this tool, for sure, the two year license, but I also have experience with Eclipse. Although I find that tool + the Java plugins to be rather "large" and "outdated" ( why google has not created a professional IDE I have no idea ( thank goodness for b4a )).

I am very interested in what you see as the "limitations" of b4a? Okay, so we have to create our own libraries in Java, no big shake, we had to create C modules to interface to VB6 if we wanted real speed. What else do you perceive to be limitations of this software?

For me it'd be great if we could get access to the intermediate Java during the compile / build process. ( For all I know that is possible - I'm only on my second batch of 4 hours with this tool ).

Peace,
Dunk

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Assuming that you have played with the trial version to see what language limitations there are compared to Java the main structural limitations are that you can't make ContentProviders in Basic4android but you could probably make one as a library and hack the right stuff into the manifest. You can't use AIDL to implement remote services. Preference Activities are not supported. All these are subject to the "at present" qualifier though I don't actually know whether Erel plans to implement any of these or not. There may be some other unimplemented stuff that I have overlooked as I'm by no means an Android expert.
For me it'd be great if we could get access to the intermediate Java
You can see it under the Objects/src folder of your project, although you can't do anything with it other than study it out of interest as you can't interrupt the build process. Be warned, it's machine generated and looks nothing like you would write yourself.

nacnud

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. As far as I can tell the "preference activity" thing may be the most limiting? Either way, I'm just getting started and most of my ideas just now will not push any boundaries.

Cheers,
Dunk

:sign0104:

Theera

Licensed User
Longtime User
It 's better,if many experts spend their a few of times for create the libraries which are interesting for B4A developer who don't have skill of java programming. Please don't forgot that have more libraries have more to be power tool.

P.S. I have lived here 3 years,I spent for study creating library for 1 year,but I don't have progress anythings.

Last edited: