Android Question Üpdate to latest Version of B4A from Tregistered Version 8.50

wenzelww

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
do you see risk to update B4A V8.50 to latest Version?
I was not actice for some years and want to avoid mess something up.
I intend to program Watch Faces for latest Wear OS. To see any problem?
What example would you recommend?

Thanx

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User
It's actually not difficult to answer your question. Changing to the current B4A version 12.8 (64Bit) does not actually represent a risk as far as updating the development environment is concerned. Many new functions have been added to make programming easier for you.
I see a much bigger problem in the further development of the Android operating system itself. Depending on the SDK level with which you have developed your applications, there are many new restrictions on the part of Google, so that you may have to change your programme code considerably in order to meet these new requirements of the operating system on the end device. This applies at least to Android on mobile phones or tablets. I think the same applies to smartwatches if they run on this operating system.
Nobody will give you a guarantee that an old app will also run on modern devices, recently there are even minimum requirements for SDK levels, which means you have to programme your application for a minimum SDK level in order to be able to offer it in the Playstore, for example.
However, your old programme code should also work in a new development environment. Pay attention to notes in the IDE if you load an older programme into the IDE.

Upvote 0

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just remember that you need to download even the new SDK from the Installation Instructions page.
Follow exactly and carefully every steps like starting from zero.
You can then extract the new SDK to a new folder without deleting your old one and you can install the latest B4A to a dedicated folder without overwriting your actual one.
In this way you can keep both version up to when you will not feel sure that everything it's ok.
Of course you will need to set up correctly the latest version with the new SDK in the Configure Paths.
But in the end you will see that you will stick to the latest version with happiness.

Upvote 0

wenzelww

Licensed User
Longtime User
hat schon mal nicht so gut angefangen :-( SDK hab ich allerdings noch nicht geupdated
1707254016789.png

Upvote 0

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

wenzelww

Licensed User
Longtime User
it worked with new SDK. Thanx Sagenut and BlueVision

next question: for a galaxy watch6 with Wear OS 4 will B4A bridge be installed on watch?

Upvote 0

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't know if something has changed with latest Wear OS.
It was possible to connect the watch with it's usb cradle and install app directly to the watch with B4A the same way as with phones.
It was just needed to enable developer options and enable USB Debug.

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe this thread could help.
I'm afraid that thread is for phones running Android and not Wear OS. A while ago I made a post about Wear OS 2. I assume Wear OS 4 is similar

Upvote 0