Other B4A v8.0 has been released!

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm very happy to release B4A v8.0. This update includes many important improvements and makes it simpler to target the latest versions of Android.

android-png.65413

(image source: android.com)

As explained in this tutorial, all apps will soon need to target sdk version 26 (Android 8). This is a new policy of Google and it has many consequences for app developers. Many of the improvements in B4A v8.0 help developers with this task.

Improvements:
  • The process of starting the app from the background was rewritten to comply with targetSdkVersion 26 requirements.
  • Push notifications and other features that cause apps to start from the background should be more reliable due to changes in the way services are started. A wake lock is automatically held when a receiver receives an intent. The wake lock is released when the service starts.
  • Automatic foreground mode: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/automatic-foreground-mode.90546/
  • Notification object rewritten to work with targetSdkVersion 26. In most cases you don't need to change anything. Notification.SetInfo or Notification.SetInfo2 should be the last calls before you show the notification.
  • Notification.SetInfo / SetInfo2 accept CharSequences so it can work with CSBuilder.
  • StartServiceAt / StartServiceAtExact rewritten to work with targetSdkVersion 26 and they are now more reliable.
  • Notification.Initialize2 - Allows to set the notification channel importance level.
  • Better support for AAR libraries: jni folders (native libraries) are handled properly, assets and resources from internal jars are added to the project.
  • #AdditionalJar with ReferenceOnly - Allows referencing jars that are only used as a reference during compilation. This is required for more complex libraries such as DJI library.
  • Signing key size is explicitly set to avoid issues with newer versions of Java.
  • B4A Sdk Manager v3.25 - Bug fixes and support for Google based AVDs.
  • Screenshot tool modified to work with latest versions of Android SDK.
  • MediaPlayer.IsInitialzied method.
  • Manifest editor macros - Macros can be added to libraries or zip files. For example to set a light theme based on Android version:
    B4X:
    CreateResourceFromFile(Macro, Themes.LightTheme)
    Unless you are setting a custom theme then it is recommended to use either Themes.LightTheme or Themes.DarkTheme.

Firebase push notifications:
    B4X:
    CreateResourceFromFile(Macro, FirebaseAnalytics.GooglePlayBase)
    CreateResourceFromFile(Macro, FirebaseAnalytics.Firebase)
    CreateResourceFromFile(Macro, FirebaseNotifications.FirebaseNotifications)
    https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/new-feature-manifest-macros.90398/#content

• Custom class templates - Class templates can be added to libraries.
    For example if you add the XUI library to your project then you will have an option to add a custom view based on XUI:

SS-2018-03-12_10.57.15.png

Libraries can include multiple templates and any library can include templates.
  • #SignKeyAlias attribute - Allows overriding the default signing key alias.
  • Firebase, xCustomListView and KeyValueStore (2) are internal libraries.
  • Libraries deprecation messages in the IDE:

SS-2018-03-12_11.01.17.png

• Fix for a very long standing issue where the activity code could have been executed while the activity is paused which leads to a hard to reproduce NullPointerException.
  • BADoclet (tool to generate libraries XML) v1.07 - adds support for custom class templates.
  • Other bug fixes and minor improvements.

Backward compatibility notes
  • Notification.SetInfo or SetInfo2 should be the last calls before you use the notification. Note that standard notifications created with previous versions of B4A will not work at all on Android 8+ when targetSdkVersion is 26+.
  • Adding a service, other than the Starter service, will add the WAKE_LOCK permission. This is a non-dangerous permission.
    As mentioned above a wake lock is held automatically when a service is started from the background and until Service_Start is called. You can remove this permission with:
    B4X:
    RemovePermission(android.permission.WAKE_LOCK)
    Everything will still work, however the service might fail to start from the background in some cases.

Developers eligible for a free upgrade should receive an email with upgrade instructions. Other developers will receive a renewal offer.

asales

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Question : If I use B4A v7.8 and DO NOT set the target version to 26+, will apps work on Android 8+?
Yes, but check this:
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/android-jar-targetsdkversion-minsdkversion.87610/
and this:
https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/12/improving-app-security-and-performance.html

Question : How do I go back to B4A v7.8?
Until I migrate all my app to B4A v.8, I keep both versions in my computer.

Question : Can apps made with B4A v7.8 be published in the PlayStore?
Yes, but see the first answer.
Question : Can I have a hug? lol
Not from me. Maybe from @Erel or @DonManfred.

Upvote 0

Num3

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I have contacted support on 1st April, because i have not received the download link for the final v8.0, but i had no response yet. :\

B4X180301-5411-74xxx

Thanks in advance!

Rui de Carvalho

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have contacted support on 1st April, because i have not received the download link for the final v8.0, but i had no response yet. :\
All mails are answered within 24 hours. If you haven't received an answer then it means that the reply was either blocked or went to the spam folder.

In that case you have two options:
1. Contact [email protected] from a different mailbox (gmail works good).
2. Contact me with a private message.

The first option is better.

Upvote 0

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
I saw that they are going to start migrating towards 64 bit down the road, does B4A currently compile in 64-Bit? Just curious.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0