A few suggestions (code window & shortcuts)

Discussion in 'Basic4ppc Wishlist' started by HomeWorx, Jan 1, 2009.

1. HomeWorx

HomeWorx Member Licensed User

Hi ! Here are some ideas I noted down along my very first Basic4ppc experience. I'm a long-time VB6 user so there are things inspired from there.

Designer
    --------
    * Can a label's text be centered on the label ? (eVB does that, so I guess it's possible) - a label could then have an Alignment property
    * Add a toolbar on the left with all controls
    * Add a field above or below the selected control's name to display its type
    * Delete key should delete the selected control(s), with confirmation dialog maybe
    * Right-click on a control displays its events
    * When the Designer window closes (either with a click on the Close icon, or when selecting an event), it keeps asking if I want to keep changes... even if I haven't made any change at all !
    * From time to time I'll get the following message box when I try to exit the Designer : "An error occured. Invalid Property Value / Object reference not set to an instance of an object." (I once got this message when I hadn't given any name to a newly created control, but 5 minutes ago I saw the message again although I hadn't added anything...)
    * Menu Editor : it may not be necessary to confirm "Sub added" when clicking the "Click Event" button.
    * Move selected control(s) : Ctrl+arrow keys (snap to grid) / Shift+Ctrl+arrow keys (pixel by pixel)
    * Screen size could be set in the main options, or at least be remembered (saved) by Basic4ppc

General
    -------
    * If a file named "template.sbp" is found in Basic4ppc's installation directory, load this template when "File > New" is selected (or add a "New template" submenu and enable it if the file "template.sbp" exists)
    * Evaluate True or False values in parentheses, e.g. Check1.Visible = (i > 3)

Main/code window
    ----------------
    * Tools > Options should gather all options on a new window (rather than checking/unchecking menu items)
    * Right pane : default layout should be "all expanded"
    * Ctrl+F3 when text selection is empty and caret is at the beginning/in the middle/at the end of a word : pops up Find/Replace window displaying that word in the "Find" field
    * Mnemonics in Find/Replace window : "Search in all &modules", "Search in &selection"
    * Auto Case Correct on variable names
    * Auto Case Correct on "endif" -> should become "End If" (instead of having to type the space bar)
    * Hitting F1 when on a keyword could display help on that keyword
    * Ctrl+I on a function/keyword/constant (anywhere in the word, even without a selection) could display info on that word (rather than having to press the space bar after a function name, for example)
    * Selection drag & drop
    * F2 could apply to variables as well
    * After a F2 key press, it would be handy to go back to where the caret was before (VB6 allows that when you press Shift+F2)

* Someone already suggested the idea - the Edit menu (or any other) should include a "New Sub" item that would insert the following :
    Sub ()
    [Tab]
    End Sub
    ...then the caret could immediately come before the parentheses.

* There could even be customizable shortcuts for common multiline blocks such as (slashes stand for line breaks) :
    - "forX " would insert "For X = 0 To / [Tab] / Next X" (where X could be any letter you type)
    - "if " would display an "If ... End If" block
    - "ife " might stand for "If ... Else ... End If"
    etc.

* Toolbar : add a dropdown list containing all subs (like VB6 does)
    -> When navigating in the code, this list would show which sub you're in
    -> When you click an entry in this list, it takes you to the matching sub

Shortcuts
    ---------
    * Auto-complete : Ctrl+Space pops up the main list after a dot - e.g. hit Ctrl+Space after "Form1.", then ignore the list by pressing the space bar, then hit backspace and then Ctrl+Space. It should display methods and properties associated to Form1.
    * Comment/Uncomment : Ctrl+T
    * Find/Replace : Ctrl+H (in addition to Ctrl+F, or only for Replace)
    * Redo : Ctrl+Y

OK, I guess that's all for now.
    And, well, OK : apart from those details, Basic4ppc is just the greatest tool ever made ! It's close to perfect right now :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  2. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

Thanks. These are very good suggestions.

3. N1c0_ds

N1c0_ds Active Member Licensed User

The label alignment can be changed with FormLib. I agree it should be added to the options, however.

Here's a few more suggestions from me:

-Auto completion with controls added at runtime or the possibility to set control height to something like "form.height*4/control2.width". All my controls are created to be sized based on the screen size so it's a must ;)

-Maybe the ability to highlight what we are doing before saving and closing?

-Fix the bug that add 1 pixel to the control widths when showing the mobile designer on VGA screens. This has been discussed before and I just noticed it.

-The Left and Right commands to play with strings (get the first X letters starting from the left or the right). It's a really useful keyword IMO.

Keep up the good work, Erel. I love B4PPC ;) Oh and have happy new year!

4. taximania

taximania Well-Known Member Licensed User

Welcome to the forum :)
    Couldn't help it :cool:

5. HomeWorx

A few other small things...

Designer
    --------
    Add a list containing all controls. It will be easier than having to click the "Next" button ten times :)

Find/Replace window
    -------------------
    Change font (for "Find what" and "Replace with" fields only) to that defined in Tools > IDE Options

Right pane (main window)
    -----------------------------
    * Change font (either its face or size)
    * Wheel mouse scroll without having to click on the pane

Besides that, like N1c0_ds wrote, I love B4ppc :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  6. N1c0_ds

N1c0_ds Active Member Licensed User

Oh, forgot one. Probably the highest on my list:

A button to minimize all subs at once.

This is something I do everytime I open a project and once you go over 500 lines it becomes pretty long to minimize them all.

7. HomeWorx

Something not design-related : implement integer division ("\").

8. Zenerdiode

Zenerdiode Active Member Licensed User

Its there already! 'Edit > Outlining > Collapse All' or Ctrl+Shift+E

9. Cableguy

Cableguy Expert Licensed User

????You can already do that, either with hardcoded values or with variables....
    To get the integer just ad "int" before the operation...
    Ex:
    TextBox1.left=(Form1.Width-TextBox1.Widt)/2

this will place the textbox exactly in the center of the form's width

I think your "\" was backwards, and that dont work...

10. HomeWorx

I know I can write "Int(a / b)". I was talking about the "\" (antislash, no typo) which stands for integer division in VB. Instead of having "Int(a / b)" you would then write "a \ b".

One more shortcut on the wishlist :
    * Ctrl+D would duplicate the current line.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice