A problem with the GPSDriver when turn off the screen

schimanski

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello!

When I turn off the touchscreen with the on/off button, my gps-application (GPSDriver.DLL) resume on my Eten Glofiish X600 (WM6.1), no problem.

When I turn off the screen on my VPA Compact GPS (HTC P3600) and turn the screen on, it seems, that the GPSDriver locked up. The GPS data is no longer updated. When I disconnect the GPSDriver and opens it again, the GPS data is updated and the application runs fine.

I have updated the VPA Compact GPS from WM5 to WM6, but the same problem. Did anybody have an answer on this problem?

schimanski

Licensed User
Longtime User
There is no error. The application runs normaly except the data from the GPS-Chip. The GPS-parameters keeps similar until I reconnect the GPS again.

schimanski

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello Erel!

My application sends the own GPS-position to a server. I want, that the application works also, when the screen is off. A reconnect doesn't help. My Eten does it, but the VPA not. I thought that it is perhaps a windows-setting, but I dont' know which....

Kilrah

Licensed User
Longtime User
This pretty much depends on the device and ROM combination. I've seen that across the different HTC devices I've had the behavior when pressing the on/off button would vary, and so would it on the same device (my current Kaiser) depending on the ROM I flashed on it.
A music player is a good test, if it stops playing when you press the power button that means the device turns off, if it goes on playing it means it sees an app is active and turns screen off instead of powering off.

On my current setup, pressing the power button WILL stop the GPS and most apps. I need to use the "Screen off" feature from Quickmenu for now (I have it mapped on a hardware button). In that case, everything continues to run. BTW, I'm looking for a way to turn the screen off in B4PPC, is that possible at all?

The solution must be what Coreplayer does. It seems they somehow manage to hook the power key, and when Coreplayer is playing music pressing the power button will just create a short skip but the device will actually stay on, the music will continue playing and for example GPS apps will continue running. So they must be able to prevent the power off command and replace it with a "screen off" command. I'd be very happy to find a way to do this as well.

schimanski

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello Kilrah!

Thanks for your large answer. The Idee with the 'Screen off' on a hardware-button is a good idea.
I also have thought about a 'Screen off'-Function in basic4ppc. I have to check the aditional hardware-libs. Perhaps, there is something available.

I message, when I find something.....

Atomik

Licensed User
This is exactly the problem that I am currently encountering. I am trying to turn off the screen and leave the GPS tracking software running. So far the solution I have been using is a program called device lock, which can be mapped to a hardware button, which not only turns off the screen but also locks all the buttons, except the power button. Ideally I would like to be able to turn off the screen and lock the buttons with the power button or have the screen turn off by itself after a certain time has passed with no user input. PS I am also using an HTC Kaiser.

Kilrah

Licensed User
Longtime User
The Idee with the 'Screen off' on a hardware-button is a good idea.

Unfortunately it has its "human" limitations... frequently enough I forget to be careful and use the screen off button, and just press the power button as usual... Usually a big "ARGH!" ensues, and I have to power on again and check it hasn't screwed everything... some programs will just resume normally, but I've had a few that just crashed if they lost connection to GPS or whatever they were working with due to a power off...

So yes - in the wishlist, a way to turn screen off (the Hardware lib has ways to keep it on, but not to turn off from what I've seen), and maybe a way to prevent power off when using the power button.

schimanski

Licensed User
Longtime User
Turn off the screen and make a keylock

Hello!

Knows somebody, if there is a way to turn off the screen on the device and program a keylock? I want to save energie and put the device in my jacket, when the application proceeds?