A sad day

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My notebook's motherboard turned off for its last time.
The night before it turned off automatically after a Win7 software update and on next morning it didn't turn on. We could say it "died" while sleeping, a good way to cease functioning, ideed.

Luckily I have backups and the hard drive seems to work without problems (accessing it from a Linux system as an external drive).

Why am I so sad?
Because it is the first time in almost 35years that one of my PCs "dies". And my notebook was the youngest in the group, about 4yo. The oldest one dates back 1982 and it's still able to show its wake up diagnostic and basic-8000 interpreter.

Anyway soon I will welcome a newcomer to the lab-family and spend hours to install again tons of software. Guess which will be the first one...

udg

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Because it is the first time in almost 35years that one of my PCs "dies".
Luckily I
Yes, you're lucky, 35 years without dead PCs I can say you're lucky :)

And my notebook was the youngest in the group, about 4yo.
Same age as my notebook (and my backups are not updated!)... I am trembling with fear! :(. I hope to die sleeping, insead of my PC :p

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My sincere condolences on the passing of your laptop..
I am glad that you have a working back-up, otherwise you will be with your laptop in heaven now.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I once had a dead c64 and put it in the trunk of my company car to ditch it at the container park.

a few years and a new company car later it was still in the trunk because I couldn't let it go because
my childhood and the base of my profession is all based on that brown breadbox.

it finally ended at the electronic graveyard tho.

I also regret to have ditched the Tandy TRS-80 Model III which was a cool looking machine dispite the sucky resolution of 128x48 :)

@udg : stand strong in these hard time, mate ;)

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks all for your kind words..but I feel we're a bit exagerating. Just a bit.

I wrote my post because I was really surprised by the "dreadful" discovery, since there were no storms, spikes or other clear possible causes in the night and becuase every other appliance connected to the same source was up and running.
Well, now i know that even plastic stuff and electronics could "die naturally". And, as LucaMs said, I was lucky for 35years so it's time to look ahead for the next 35years lucky stripe :)

udg

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
And, as LucaMs said, I was lucky for 35years so it's time to look ahead for the next 35years lucky stripe
I believe in a certain kind of statistics. If an event happens on average 3 times in 35 years but it has only happened once in the last 35 years, during the next 35 years that event will happen 5 times... so the next time maybe will be just after 6 months :p
ferrodicavallo.jpg

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
next time maybe will be just after 6 months
Hmm, too early. Not before the next warranty period will be over ;)