B4J Question ABMaterial INPUT_PASSWORD vs INPUT_TEXT

John Naylor

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi everyone!

I have an ABMaterial login dialog which works perfectly.

I also have a form for the user to reset their password.

I request that the old password is entered correctly and the new password is entered twice. As I've set the ABMInput controls with the ABM.INPUT_PASSWORD options they work as expected and do not show what's being typed into the input boxes.

From elsewhere I can force a user to change their password at next login, the system simply recognises a correct login but then displays the change password requirements.

My problem is simply that my browser recognises a password editbox and insists on offering passwords that it has stored. As such it already knows the old password. I can't have that happen! If a device was accessed that has stored passwords on it an unscrupulous user could change the password without them actually knowing what the old one was.

2019-12-27 (2).png

Is there a way to make an ABMinput control set to ABM_TEXT mask out the typed characters (and act like a password edit box but without letting the browser know that's what it is being used for)?

Any advice greatly welcomed!

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As per the demo of ABM.
I have tried for the past 1.5 hours to make a password mask - but no luck...., cause I stupid...

B4X:
    Dim inp10 As ABMInput
    inp10.Initialize(page, "inp10", ABM.INPUT_TEXT, "With date mask", False, "input")   
    ' check out http://robinherbots.github.io/jquery.inputmask/ for more info how to build your masks
    inp10.inputMask = "'mask': 'd/m/y'"
    page.Cell(16,1).AddComponent(inp10)

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you can add an entry to the generated javascript for the input try
autocomplete = "new-password"
JavaScript:
<form id="login" action="signup.php" method="post">
  <input type="text" autocomplete="username">
  <input type="password" autocomplete="new-password">
  <input type="password" autocomplete="new-password">
  <input type="submit" value="Sign Up!">
</form>

From this page password fields

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would have to assume the TYPE_PASSWORD uses a mask to accomplish what it does. As stated, this type also invokes the show all passwords issue.
I agree, TYPE_TEXT with the proper (password) mask would fix the requirement. Is it CSS controlled or in the core lib...?

Here is a snippet from the HTML from my login. I don't see how the type=password (logininp2) is doing anything different from type=text (logininp1)...

B4X:
<div id="login-content-r2_cont" class="container">
<div id="login-content-r2"  data-b4js="" data-b4jsextra="false"  class="row transparent    only-print " style=" margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 20px;" data-click="login-content,2">
<div name="login.content.cell(2,1)"  data-b4js="" data-b4jsextra="false"  id="login-content-r2c1" class="col s12 m12 l12 offset-s0 offset-m0 offset-l0 transparent    " style=" margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px;"  data-click="login-content,2;1">
<div id="login-content-logininp1-parent" class="input-field input-fielddefault col s12 m12 l12 offset-s0 offset-m0 offset-l0   transparent grey-text text-darken-2 only-print " >
<input  data-b4js="" data-b4jsextra=""   id="login-content-logininp1" type="text" evname="logininp1" class=" validate black-text" value=""  style="text-align:start"><label id="login-content-logininp1label" for="login-content-logininp1"  style="">User Name</label>
</div>
<div id="login-content-logininp2-parent" class="input-field input-fielddefault col s12 m12 l12 offset-s0 offset-m0 offset-l0   transparent grey-text text-darken-2 only-print " >
<input  data-b4js="" data-b4jsextra=""   id="login-content-logininp2" type="password" evname="logininp2" class=" validate black-text" value=""  style="text-align:start"><label id="login-content-logininp2label" for="login-content-logininp2"  style="">Password</label>
</div>
</div></div>
</div>

Upvote 0

John Naylor

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've just come across some advanced text formatting in the AlwaysBusy blog from March 2018 where B4JS is used to create a credit card entry system - Maybe I can use a similar method to write a text box password mask.

@Daestrum I'll certainly see if I can use your suggestion later when I can get some time to try.

Thank's guys I'll report back as I figure something out.

Upvote 0